May hikes in Wengen area

• Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    7 May 2021 at 8:29:11 #825830

Dear All!

Hope you are keeping well. We are returning to the beloved Wengen for a week on the weekend. There is the detailed guide I found on this forum couple of years ago, put together by Kim (thank you!) that has been serving as my Wengen-go to guide. I am struggling a bit to pick 1-2 moderate scenic hikes that are doable this time of the year though, given the higher altitude spots are covered by snow. We would love to do at least couple of medium difficulty hikes up to 6 hours that offer nice views of the valley but possibly of the mountain range too. Any recommendations? Many thanks for your support!

Regards, Blanka

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    7 May 2021 at 14:28:36 #935001

Hi Blanka,

If you’re in Wengen for the hikes, I would definitely recommend the panorama trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. However the Männlichen cable car is currently closed for maintenance until 21 May 2021, so I don’t think the trail is open yet. Most of the trails on the mountains are usually inaccessible at this time of the year but there are plenty of hikes in the valley and at lower altitudes.

To look into alternative hikes in the area use this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/wengen/activities
    http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Best regards,

Anna

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 May 2021 at 20:55:37 #935002

Hello Blanka,

Where are you traveling from? Switzerland is not yet open to tourists from many countries.

Assuming you can get in the country, for hikes in the BO starting this weekend you will need to stay at lower elevations. The walk up Lauterbrunnen valley to Stechelberg is stunning. The hike up to Mürren from Stechelberg is stunning as well (and far more challenging) but it’s somewhat doubtful that it is open already. If not, perhaps once you reach Stechelberg from Lauterbrunnen you could then take the gondola up to Mürren then walk to Grütschalp if that is open.

The walk from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil along the river is really pretty too.

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    7 May 2021 at 21:45:42 #935003

We have just changed our trip to Wengen for September. If possible could you please post a link to the Hiking guide you were referencing.. Much Thanks.

Caroline679
    Participant
    47 posts
    7 May 2021 at 21:47:21 #935004

Blanka,

I don’t know if this (described below) would be do-able at the time of year you’ll be in Wengen, but the following is a write-up I shared October 7, 2019. It’s a fabulous hike above the Lauterbrunnen Valley (basically parallel to the Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg very flat valley walk, but up higher and with drop-dead views). It meets all of your criteria, if snow isn’t a factor when you go. ‘Just a tremendous hike!!

There have been numerous mentions on this fabulous site of the nice, basically-level walk between Murren and the station at Grutschalp (<— which is across the Lauterbrunnen Valley from Wengen). I agree that it’s an enjoyable stroll, and it certainly is an appropriate choice with kids or with elderly family members. But a *really* lovely alternative is the trail that pretty much parallels that one, except higher up. On the yellow trail signs, it is referred to as the “Mountain View Trail”.

If you don’t mind a bit of exercise for your legs going up the initial section (which begins on the uphill side of the rail tracks at Grutschalp, and initially goes uphill into evergreen woods from there; but not for any interminable length, and you’ll have shade to keep you cool), you will be *more than amply rewarded* by a beautiful, open trail above tree-line for several gorgeous hours afterwards, with stupendous alpine mountain views the entire way, and ending up at Almendhubel, where you can then either walk, or take the gondola, down to Murren. The best time to do this route is in the afternoon, when the sun is shining right onto the Alps (Eiger etc), making them pop out from the sky beyond. (Morning is much tougher for pictures, if you take as many as we do. Tough exposure in the a.m.). Just be sure to check what time the last gondola leaves Almendhubel (in September, it was around 5 pm), for your trip down into Murren at the other end.

We’ve done this route on its own, but we’ve also done it with several variations:

>> walking all the way to Murren (which is a nice add-on, being very pastoral and all gently downhill)

>> combining it with a ride up Schilthorn afterwards (which means, though, that you don’t have time to do the trail in the afternoon, when the Mountain View Trail is at its best)…. An option could be to do Schilthorn first, and then do the high trail from Murren back to Grutschalp in the afternoon, although we found it most enjoyable in the opposite direction

>> doing a full loop: first on the higher Mountain View Trail from Grutschalp to Murren, then walking back on the level, lower, much more populated path from Murren back to the Grutschalp station

We’ve done all of these variations. What we loved was:

— the Mountain View Trail is not nearly as populated and well-traveled as the lower, level, busier route

— it’s much quieter, and you’re never looking at railroad tracks as your view

— except to initially get up to the rest of the trail — (the wonderful, extended, horizontal part) — the view is never obstructed by trees

— you walk through lovely green pastures, and come upon terrific lunch spots with drop-dead gorgeous views

— you can tailor the length of the outing to your energy level and time available

We were surprised that this trail is not more widely written about in the local information. It’s just lovely. The Mountain View Trail itself takes 2-3 hours, depending on how much you gawk at the views and how many pictures you stop to take. We couldn’t resist. The seemingly-always-very-crowded Grutschalp cog-train / gondola was the only downside… You get spoiled being out in all that Nature on the trail. But if you can squeeze over to the right-hand side (going down to Lauterbrunnen), you’ll get more amazing views then, too. And again, if you want the option of taking the gondola from Almendhubel into Murren, check its timetable in advance. It’s more limited in its schedule than the Grutschalp end of things.

’Hope this encourages you to give this route a try. You won’t be disappointed. : )

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 May 2021 at 6:33:52 #935005

Thank you so much for your help, Anna!

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 May 2021 at 6:35:51 #935006

Hello Kim, appreciate your response. I am based in Switzerland so privileged to be able to enjoy the nature. The hike you are mentioning is the one I had on my list and thought to give it a try. Will check with the tourist info center in Wengen if the trail is open to Murren. Thank you again for your help 🙂

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 May 2021 at 6:36:46 #935007

Hi there! I cannot find now the direct link to the Wengen guide but happy to e-mail it to you directly as I have it saved on my laptop 🙂

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 May 2021 at 6:38:39 #935008

HI Caroline, thank you so much for the detailed description, it got me very enthusiastic and intrigued 🙂 Will look it up in more details and as we have a week in the area (and hopefully more than one day of sun), I will certainly include it in the planning 🙂 Enjoy your weekend!

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    8 May 2021 at 15:30:18 #935009

That would be great..Thanks

<e-mail address removed>

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    8 May 2021 at 22:13:13 #935010

Hi Blanka

The only trails you can count on to be open in May is the Lauterbrunnen valley walk to Stechelberg or the trails around the lakes in Interlaken. The Mannlichen to KS will be iffy. It’s not usually passable until late June. The hikes out of First are not likely open but you might check on First to Grosse Scheidegg. I would also check on the trails down Grindelwald valley, perhaps Klein Scheidegg or Alpinglen to Grindelwald could be passable.

Caroline’s suggestion of the Mountain View walk is a good choice as well. I’m not sure if its open either but maybe. It is rated a 2 hr walk from Grutschalp to Murren. Personally from Murren I would walk or take gondola down to Gimmelwald and than gondola down to Lauterbrunnen valley floor just outside of Stechelberg and walk back to Lauterbrunnen from there. I think the walk down the valley floor is very scenic too.

I would suspect your best source of trail availability is at the tourist offices in Wengen or Grindelwald or perhaps Interlaken. I believe they will have the most up to date information on which trails are passable, which changes sometimes daily due to local temperatures and weather.

Mark

Caroline679
    Participant
    47 posts
    8 May 2021 at 23:33:32 #935011

Hi Blanka,

Mark’s suggestion about walking from Murren to Gimmelwald to (the gondola down to) Stechelberg… and then doing the flat valley walk to get you back to Lauterbrunnen… is an excellent one. If conditions indicate that you could start by: (a) doing the Mountain View Trail (starting at Grutschalp, and finishing by going past Allmendhubel into Murren) — and then (b) come back to Lauterbrunnen via Mark’s route — you would have a *really wonderful day*!! (My only caveat is that the very best views from the Lauterbrunnen Valley walk are looking the other way, behind you, as you walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen. It’s always a treat to walk *toward* the best views, but it’s a beautiful valley all around you, either way!)

One other thought as you plan your day: The lighting on the mountains is best in the afternoon on the Mountain View Trail. If you walk the Mountain View Trail in the morning, the mountains will mostly be in shade / silhouette.

I wish I could go with you! Assuming snow won’t be an issue, this circular route would really please you, I promise!

— Caroline

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 May 2021 at 15:11:07 #935012

Hi MWrights1984! I’m sorry, but I had to remove your e-mail address. It’s not allowed to post personal data, as these may be subject to abuse. Please see the forum rules: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules. Kim’s Wengen guide can be found here though: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim. I hope this helps :-)!

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    9 May 2021 at 15:45:45 #935013

Yes, Sorry about the email…But Thank You for the Link. The guide is excellent

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    10 May 2021 at 13:54:29 #935014

Thank you very much for your help, Mark, truly appreciated 🙂

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    10 May 2021 at 13:57:44 #935015

Thank you, Caroline, finally we walked down from Murren to Lauterbrunnen and the views were stunning, it has been so enjoyable (and sunny yesterday) 🙂 Thanks for all your tips and guidance!

Caroline679
    Participant
    47 posts
    11 May 2021 at 14:41:54 #935016

Hi Blanka,

I’m so glad that you’ve had some good weather while you’re in such jaw-droppingly beautiful countryside! Isn’t it gorgeous? I love thinking of you doing your walks and taking in all of that mountain scenery. What a wonderful part of the world, it is!

Enjoy every moment. Many of us are envious, wishing we could come along.. Oh, how we would love to be with you on those walks!!

Caroline

Anna
    6355 posts
    11 May 2021 at 19:01:31 #935017

Hi Caroline,

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘May hikes in Wengen area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.