May 3 to 13 hiking recommendations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 23:11:17 #810590

Hello!

My wife and I will be visiting Switzerland from 3 May to 13 May and were hoping to get some recommendations for good day hiking options. In researching I see that some areas are likely still not open at that time, but we aren’t finding much information about what areas might be.

We are experienced day hikers and capable of moderate to strenuous hikes of up to 5 miles per day (maybe more if we have some rest time afterwards).

Thank you!

Chris

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    17 January 2017 at 2:54:35 #858115

Check out wanderland.ch it has a great wealth of information specifically on hiking in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 8:26:04 #858116

Hi Chris and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You are indeed correct that a lot of alpine hiking trails will still be closed in early May – all are weather dependent at the time.

Take a look at our hiking information page for further details and route options.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 January 2017 at 18:03:51 #858117

Hi Chris,

You best have a look at trails below 2000 m. Those should be accessible around that time. But no guarantees. Last spring happened to be cold, and back then it was more like 1500 m. Still plenty of options left though.

• The thread ‘May 3 to 13 hiking recommendations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.