Meiringen/Wengen vs just Wengen stay in June

• Gysh
    Participant
    8 posts
    18 January 2019 at 17:27:44 #819531

I’m just getting ready to finalize my accommodations for a 2 week stay in Switzerland in late June. This will be my first time visiting Switzerland and I have only traveled to Europe once before (London), 20 years ago. The first 5 nights I will be in Basel for a conference but then the next 7 nights I was going to vacation in the Jungfrau region using Wengen as a base (we are renting a chalet). My son & I would really like to go to Gelmersee (furnicular & hike) and the Trift Bridge (cable car & hike). I was thinking that it might be better to split my time in the Jungfrau with the first 2 nights staying in Meiringen which would have closer access to these locations and would also have access to Lake Brienz and the Ballenberg Museum for rainy day activities if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Would this make more sense than staying all 7 nights in Wengen. I can get a better rate by staying all 7 days in Wengen but I think the convenience factor of Meiringen might outweigh the better rate. Thanks for the help, this website has been an awesome tool in planning my trip.

Stephanie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 1:20:23 #902401

It’s 1 hour by train from Wengen to Meiringen, so for Gelmersee that will add 2 hours to a trip compared with starting at Meiringen. However, anything you want to see West of Meiringen will be less than 1 hour from Wengen.

Meiringen is a pleasant place to stay – nice and quiet

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 4:30:21 #902402

Meiringen has some delightful and unexpected places to visit, such as the Reichenbach Falls, plus the related Sherlock Holmes Museum. My daughter and I also enjoyed the small, but impressive, Naturmuseum Oberhasli in central Meiringen.

Having said that, my preference would be to couple Wengen with Kandersteg, which is further to the west, and has more dramatic hiking terrain, on virtually all sides.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 8:20:03 #902403

Hi Stephanie,

I’d lean to Meiringen too – but the Swiss railways timetable will give you exact timings so you can decide if Wengen is too far for you or not.

If your only trip around Meiringen is the Gelmersee than perhaps one long day trip from Wengen will be ok. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Gysh
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 January 2019 at 17:40:39 #902404

Thank you for your replies. I believe I am going to book the first 2 nights in Meiringen as stated. There are quite a few places that we want to visit that are closer to Meiringen than Wengen. I am glad to here that it is a nice, quiet place to stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2019 at 23:54:18 #902405

I think you’ve made a good choice. Meiringen has a different character to Wengen. It is in a flat valley floor so there is some nice easy level walking to be had. Farmland reaches right up to the edge of the town which gives it a pleasantly ‘Swiss’ feel.

Easy to take the fun ride on the little train to Aareschlucht and/or Innertkirchen

• The thread ‘Meiringen/Wengen vs just Wengen stay in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.