Mid June itinerary feedback please

• luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    17 May 2019 at 19:21:37 #821695

Thank you so much for all of your help during the last months. I am so looking forward to our upcoming trip and have learned so much from all of you. To say I’m obsessed is probably an understatement. In doing all of this preparation, I also became a Certified Switzerland Travel Expert via the Switzerland Tourism Travel Academy.

I’d be grateful if you could take the time to sanity check my itinerary and give me feedback if there are things that need to be adjusted. I, of course, realize that weather will be an important factor in some of the trips – so I’m praying for nothing but sunshine.

I’ll just list the various days I’ve planned out, but this may not be the exact order we do the trips. We are arriving in Zurich June 13th and our base for the entire trip will be Wengen for 7 nights. We then return to Zurich for 1 night before returning home. We have the 8 day STP 2nd class for the duration of our trip.

I promise a thorough trip report upon my return.

Arrival Day – Zurich airport 8:30am. Train to Wengen. The plan is to check-in and then take cable car to Männlichen and if possible, hike to Kleine Scheidegg (if the trail is open). Then walk/train back to Wengen. Associated costs: Cable car cost CHF11.50 one way and train back to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg CHF18

Trip#1 – Bachalpsee/First/Grindelwald – Train to/from Grindelwald. Gondola to First. Hike Bachalpsee, do First Cliff Walk. Gondola ride down to Schrekfeld and ride Mountain Carts to Bort. Ride gondola rest of way to Grindelwald. Ride Pfingstegg cable car and do toboggan run. Associated costs: First Gondola & 1 Activity CHF46. Pfingstegg cable car CHF14/roundtrip. Toboggan run (1=CHF6/6=CHF30)

Trip#2 – Fort Fürigen & Stanserhorn – Train to Stansstad and visit Fort. Then train to Stans to catch funicular & cable car to Stanserhorn. Return to Stans for train to Wengen. Associated costs: Everything should be covered by STP.

Trip#3 – Brienzer Rothorn & Aareschluct – Train to Brienz. Steam train to Brienzer Rothorn. Return to Brienz and take train to Aareschluct and then return via train to Wengen. Associated costs: Brienzer Rothorn steam train CHF46/roundtrip

Trip#4 – Thun & Lucerne – Train to Interlaken and take Lake Thun boat trip to Thun. After sightseeing Thun, take train to Lucerne. Then train back to Wengen. Question: Can we upgrade to 1st class on the boat ride and if so – how much would that be? Associated costs: Everything covered except for possible 1st grade upgrade of boat ride

Trip#5 – Zermatt & Gornergrat – Train to Zermatt. Catch Gornergrat train for ride to top. Return trip to Rotenboden station and then hike down to Riffelberg via Riffelseeweg. Train back down to Zermatt and then train back to Wengen. Associated cost: CHF49 for Gornergrat train round trip (may be a little less since we will hike part of the way)

Trip#6 – Lauterbrunnen Area – For this day we would do the recommended circuit Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp via cable car, hike to Mürren, funicular to Allmendhubel and back down to Mürren, cable car up to Schilthorn and back to Mürren. Then on to Gimmelwald via cable car and to Stechelberg via cable car. Then bus to Trummelbach Falls and walk rest of way to Lauterbrunnen (or ride bus) and then train back to Wengen. Associated costs: Everything covered by STP???

Trip#7 – Return to Zurich for departure on the following day. Once we arrive in Zurich, sightseeing Old Town & then cruise lake. Associated costs: Everything covered by STP

We will be staying at Hotel Adler, so we would need to ride train to Zurich airport and since our STP will have expired, would we be able to get any discount for the train ride or just buy a regular ticket?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and feedback!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2019 at 4:58:10 #912604

Looks like your qualifications paid off. 😉

Allmendhubel funicular is 50% discount with STP. Trummelbach Falls is not covered but the entry fee is small (around CHF11 if I remember correctly).

The SBB timetable (web or mobile app) will offer you the best price for a trip Zurich to Airport. It won’t break the bank.

Travel well in the inevitable sunshine and don’t forget to write a trip report for us all to enjoy. 😎

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    18 May 2019 at 9:59:59 #912605

Thank you sooo much. Found the Allmendhubel charges after I posted. Looks to be CHF7 with STP I think.

If we can only manage time wise to do part of the hike to Mürren, do you think the hike Grütschalp to Winteregg is nicer or Winteregg to Mürren?

Again, thank you!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2019 at 10:05:53 #912606

Sorry – I’m not a hiker. Someone else will chime in directly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 23:31:34 #912607

Hi Luvmystang

You can see the validity of your Swiss Travel Pass here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity (download the map to look at what is covered in detail)

For hiking suggestions you can use the top right hand corner box to search for what others think of that hike in particular. Here is a link to our hiking section http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

All the best on your trip!

Maria.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    19 May 2019 at 19:29:24 #912608

Thank you so much!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2019 at 7:14:23 #912609

Hi luvmystang-

The dates in “mid-June” will genrally not be croitical for your trip.

However, June 15th is the average ( +/- a week or two) dateupon which traila above approximately 2000 meters will be free of snow and passable.

Thus, the walk from First to the Bachalpsee may not be open:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.im ages-swissimage-dop10.metadata,ch.swis stopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2644220.0 5&N=1168633.16&zoom=7

Fortress Fürigen has very limited hours. Please check your schedule carefully.

There is also a very nice “redoubt” (fortress) available at Vitznau:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/experiences/vitznau -fortress-festung-vitznau/

A search with Google will turn up some links, also.

There may be snow at the top of Brienzer Rothorn ( 2348 meters). Since regular service on the cograil train starts on June 1, your dates will be OK:

brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/timetable-prices/?lang=en

Slowpoke

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    20 May 2019 at 19:38:28 #912610

Thank you for your feedback. I checked on Vitznau but it is only open on Fridays and that would not work for us. We have Fürigen on our schedule for a Saturday visit, which is one of the days it is open.

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2019 at 20:38:18 #912611

<<“

If we can only manage time wise to do part of the hike to Mürren, do you think the hike Grütschalp to Winteregg is nicer or Winteregg to Mürren? “>>

It has been a few years since I took that route, and the answer has faded from my memory. The the map suggests better views of the valley as you approach Mürren (trail is nearer the cliff edge), and I’m guessing that the views of the Jungfrau Massif might be better as you approach Mürren. I do recall that the views of the massif are splendid from Winteregg.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2635551.6 8&N=1158113.60&zoom=6

<<“Trip#7 – Return to Zurich for departure on the following day. Once we arrive in Zurich, sightseeing Old Town & then cruise lake. Associated costs: Everything covered by STP

We will be staying at Hotel Adler, so we would need to ride train to Zurich airport and since our STP will have expired, would we be able to get any discount for the train ride or just buy a regular ticket?”>>

Since you are at the Adler, where I always stay, you can consider the Old Town on that side of the river, as well as the nice part across the Limmat around St. Peters and the Lindenhof. I like to wander around the area between the Neumarkt and Untere Zaune,the Hirschengraben and the Grossmünster. Restaurant Neumarkt is excellent, frequently full, and not inexoensive.

The restaurant in the Adler is particularly good for Raclettes and Fondues.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Mid June itinerary feedback please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.