Milan to Geneva – travelling on the Golden Pass

• USA2Swiss
    Participant
    5 posts
    23 April 2023 at 19:40:09 #829668

Hello everyone,

We have a big travel day in early August in which we will be traveling from the Liguria region of Italy through Milan to Geneva. We have the 1st class Swiss travel pass, and would like to take the Golden Pass for that portion of this trip. It looks like the best place to start the Golden Pass for this trip coming from Milan would be in Spiez, and it also looks like the Golden Pass will be reopened between Spiez and Zweisimmen by that time (it is listed as reopening in mid-June).

We’d like the Golden Pass portion to be a memorable experience and include dining if possible. From what I can tell, we could take the Panorama (listed as Prestige?) train from Spiez to Montreux, or instead take the Panorama/Prestige from Spiez to Zweisimmen and then switch to the Belle Epoque train in Zweisimmen and then on to Montreux? Is the Belle Epoque worth making this transfer? It seems like it might be complicated and we have a complicated travel day already coming from Italy. Would really appreciate any tips on this itinerary if possible.

Thank you for your advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2023 at 22:37:17 #953723

I don’t recommend this idea. It will be a long and complicated day. I suggest you take the direct route and enjoy the scenic views (there are plenty between Milan and Geneva) from the main line. There is no full dining service on the Golden Pass line

Anna
    6274 posts
    24 April 2023 at 5:32:26 #953724

Hi USA2Swiss,

I agree with 1960man. Taking the direct route Milan – Geneva would be more straightforward when you have a tight schedule. If you have some flexibility, you can get down in Montreux (instead of Geneva) and do part of the Golden Pass route — perhaps Montreux to Gstaad or Zweisimmen and back. You could travel on the Panorama/Prestige train for the onward journey and the Belle Epoch on the return. You can find more information about the Golden Pass route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

USA2Swiss
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 April 2023 at 16:11:36 #953725

Thank you both, we will keep things simple as you suggest. Appreciate your advice!

• The thread ‘Milan to Geneva – travelling on the Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.