Milan to Interlaken & return Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 18:56:54 #817306

Thanks to this forum, I think I understand how traveling with the Swiss Travel Pass works. But i just want to make sure I fully understand. Please let me know if I’m incorrect.

From Milan to Interlaken:

I purchase a train ticket from Milan to Domodossola. I stay in my seat and then show my Swiss Travel Pass when they ask for tickets after departing Domodossola.

I then switch trains at Spiez to take the train to Interlaken. I just show my Swiss Travel Pass when they check tickets.

I stay in Interlaken and will visit the Schilthorn. The cost of the trains and cable cars are included with my Swiss Travel Pass.

Then sadly, I’ll need to leave Switzerland.

From Interlaken to Milan:

I can take the Swiss train to Spiez, and then transfer to the train that goes to Milan. Each train I show my Swiss Travel Pass. I only have to purchase travel from Domodossola to Milan. I show this purchased ticket when they check tickets after departing Domodossola.

Do I have this correct, or am I missing anything?

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I can’t wait to be there!

Thanks!

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 22:25:26 #891615

Correct in all cases in respect of the main line trains, although I doubt you will have your ticket checked between Spiez and Interlaken, the journey is too short.

Incorrect re Schilthorn: The Murren – Schilthorn cable way is not free (only reduced fare) on STP

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 0:34:59 #891616

Hi John, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I stay in Interlaken and will visit the Schilthorn. The cost of the trains and cable cars are included with my Swiss Travel Pass.

All modes of travel to Mürren are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

It sounds like you are travelling in 2018, in which case the cable car between Mürren and the Schilthorn is also free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Next year, the Swiss Travel Pass only provides a 50% discount on that cable car.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 1:30:14 #891617

Thank you 1960man and Alpenrose666 for your responses. I appreciate them very much!

Yes, we’ll be traveling this year (early October 2018). So I believe this year (like Alpenrose666 stated) we’ll have all modes of travel for free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Thank you again for answering my questions. I’m sure I’ll have some more questions about visiting which I’ll research on this great website. It’s been a long dream of mine to see the Swiss Alps so I’m very excited! This is also my first time traveling to outside the USA so I want to make sure I do everything correctly.

Thank you!

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 6:49:43 #891618

Hi John,

If you want to check out routes or mountains that are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, look at our page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Happy Travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 18:37:08 #891619

Thanks, Lucas for the great info!

I bought our train tickets from Milan to Domodossola last night. I noticed that I have assigned seats. Do I need to do anything to keep the seats reserved from Domodossola to Spiez? Could someone come on to the train after Domodossola with those seats reserved?

Am I worrying too much? I tend to do that…

Thanks for everyone’s help!

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:09:18 #891620

Seat reservations don’t exist for internal Swiss journeys, so no-one will have booked your seats north of Domodossola.

In any case, the journey from Domo to Spiez is only 1 hour so I doubt you’ll go far from your seats as you’ll soon be preparing to alight at Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 2:17:50 #891621

Thank you for the information, 1960man!

I think I’ve got everything I need to know for the train traveling, thanks to everyone’s help on this thread.

Thanks again!

John

• The thread ‘Milan to Interlaken & return Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.