Milan to Lauterbrunnen in April 2024

• Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    17 October 2023 at 12:46:21 #830909

Hi, can you fantastic people at Myswissalps help please.

I am planning to travel from Milano Centrale to Lauterbrunnen via Domodossola on 24 April 2024. I will be using the Berner Oberland Pass for part of the journey.

Ideally I would like to take an EC train At the moment the SBB timetable seems a bit confusing with the journey taking me all over Switzerland and taking 5 to 6 hours. Not the three and a half hours I was hoping. Is the tunnel closure causing problems with the timetable? If I look at November 2023 all seems ok.

Thank you for any updates.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    17 October 2023 at 18:19:20 #958880

Hi Sweyne,

The Gotthard Base Tunnel is expected to remain partially closed until early 2024, possibly until April. Unfortunately this means you will be directed to an alternative route for your journey from Milan to Lauterbrunnen. Also, I believe there might be construction along the Milan-Domodossola route causing disruptions to direct EC train connections from Milan to Switzerland.

You can find practical information about travel from Italy to Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Regards,

Anna

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    18 October 2023 at 8:17:57 #958881

Thank you Anna, but I am so confused. We are flying into Roma 19 April and wanted to take a train to Switzerland on 24/25 April. On the sBB timetable journeys to Lauterbrunnen from Roma are taking 20 hours! And if I went from Venezia goes via Austria and again takes hours. Our flights are into Roma and out of Zurich. Sadly we cannot change this. Do you know of a quick easy way to get from Italy to Switzerland in April? We were hoping to go via Domodossola and then use the Berner Oberland Pass. I’m beginning to think I’ll have to cancel and lose the cost of the flights for 3 people from Thailand.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    18 October 2023 at 16:11:11 #958882

Hi Sweyne,

April is still a few months away. The situation with the Gotthard Base Tunnel, which is why you are seeing such a lengthy train journey when researching, should change in the coming months (for the better).

I’d keep yourself updated with any additional developments via our link below and of course the SBB timetable. (Information and journeys should be more accurate for your April travel early next year as the restoration of the tunnel continues. This is in comparison to what you are researching and seeing right now for the same dates – I hope that makes sense).

With the construction works via Domodossola, it could be best to take an alternate route. Perhaps you could split up your journey as an option? For example: Rome-Milan, Milan-Lucerne, and then Lucerne-Lauterbrunnen? This could be much easier for you, than traveling the entire journey in the one trip.

If you choose this, your Berner Oberland Pass would be active once reaching Lucerne. You’d only need your Italy tickets then once in Switzerland, you could find a Supersaver ticket for Chiasso to Lucerne or alternatively a Saver Day Pass could be available for your chosen date which would cover all your Swiss travel to Lauterbrunnen (in other words Chiasso to Lauterbrunnen).

More details on both here:

Supersaver ticket: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

Saver Day Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

RolandP
    Participant
    40 posts
    19 October 2023 at 3:58:30 #958883

The Milan to Lauterbrunnen via Domodossola route does not use the Gotthard Base Tunnel …

The reason for the missing connections for Milan to Lauterbrunnen via Domodossola is simple: the annual timetable change happening on 9 DEC 2023. The new timetable for international trains is not yet fully available, which is totally normal and resulting in ambigous information. The Italian railways guys are never fast in putting them online, therefore you should try again from mid of November.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    19 October 2023 at 9:53:31 #958884

Hi RolandP,

Many thanks for clarifying the timetable situation in regard to the Milan-Lauterbrunnen via Domodossola journey. Most helpful.

Yes, I am aware the Gotthard Base Tunnel is not apart of this route. Here, I was addressing a question that the member was asking as to why her initial findings were directing her via Austria were taking so long – which may involve travel via the Gotthard Base Tunnel.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    19 October 2023 at 11:54:51 #958885

Hi Yolanda thank you very much for the advice. The Milano – Lucerne should make our trip easier.

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    19 October 2023 at 11:55:51 #958886

Wise words on the timetables. Will check again next month.

• The thread ‘Milan to Lauterbrunnen in April 2024’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.