Milan to Montreux, or Zurich to Montreux?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 5:46:02 #811774

Looking for some guidance on my itinerary…I’ve been researching this for several weeks and I’m “stuck”, unable to make a final decision, so any help is appreciated.

We are going to be in Rome/Naples at the end of July, and we are trying to decide whether to fly to Milan, Geneva, or to Zurich – the end goal is Montreux, to begin a 4 night stay, before leaving Europe. I know Geneva is the closest city, but we are wanting to enjoy a scenic train ride. This is my first trip to Europe, and we are going to be in England, Italy, and France – and only because I had 4 award nights to use at a Fairmont did I decide to add 4 nights in Switzerland. After reading up on Switzerland, I’ve decided that this “after thought” might be the best part of the trip!

I’ve looked at flying to Zurich (5 in my family) and then a scenic trip to Montreux via Interlaken, but we are hesitant due to the cost of the flight being about 8 times more than the cost of the flight to Milan, which adds up for the 5 of us. In addition, the train ride from Milan to Montreux is also considerably less expensive – only $33 a person.

Which makes me wonder – is the train ride from Milan to Montreux not all that interesting? I’m willing to doll out the extra money if flying to Zurich and taking several scenic routes to Montreux is significantly better than the trip from Milan to Montreux.

A third option would be to fly to Geneva – don’t try to do much that initial “travel” day – and just plan on a day trip from Montreux to the Interlaken area as one of our three days in Montreux. I’ve read on this site that taking the Golden Pass Line back from Interlaken to Montreux would be very scenic, so maybe we could take a fast train to Interlaken that morning, and then take the Golden Pass back to Montreux in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 May 2017 at 16:14:26 #863145

Hi Swissdreamer, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Yes, that’s a whole lot of options. If a flight is that expensive, I’d recommend train traveling. In any case it’s more scenic and much more environmentally friendly than flying. Now, to add to your confusion, there are several ways to get to Montreux:

• Milan-Domodossola-Brig-Montreux. This is the easiest route, with direct trains, and it takes about 3 hours. The leg in northern Italy/southern Switzerland is certainly scenic. From Montreux, you could make a day trip to/from Interlaken by Golden Pass;
    • if you have some more time: Milan-Chiasso-Göschenen-Lucerne. You’ll be traveling along the very scenic Gotthard Panorama Express route. After an overnight stay in Lucerne, you can ride the entire Golden Pass south to Montreux.

I hope this doesn’t add to your confusion :-). Depending on your finalized travel plans, you can pick a rail pass for your stay in Switzerland. You’ll need regular additional tickets from Milan to Domodossola or Chiasso.

Does this help somehwat?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 17:16:26 #863146

Yes! Thanks for your suggestions and good information! I’m glad to hear there are scenic possibilities from Milan. I was curious when I asked the question if someone would say “of course you want to do Zurich to Interlaken to Montreux”. 🙂 It sounds like Milan to Montreux will be a nice option – and we will look at taking a day to ride the Golden Pass line from Montreux to Interlaken and back again.

So if we do that – go to Interlaken on a day trip from Montreux – what is reasonable to try to do in the Interlaken area on that day? is there a cable car ride or city that we would have time to visit before catching the Golden Pass back to Montreux?

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 May 2017 at 19:06:16 #863147

Hi Swissdreamer,

Trains on the Golden Pass line operate all day long so you should have a fair bit of time left. I wouldn’t spend time on seeing Interlaken itself. The region is much more attractive than the town. You could consider a trip via Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald back to Interlaken (the Jungfraujoch route without actually going to Jungfraujoch). Or to Mürren/Schilthorn. Lots of options, you’ll find them listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 19:12:21 #863148

I’ve never actually been on a train for more than an hour or so. Is it possible to get off for a few hours and catch another train on most routes?

I’m looking at the Swiss Travel Pass, and it might be worth it for us – and I’ve read you don’t have make reservations for most things, so I’m wondering if that gives you the flexibility to get off a train, and catch another later in the day – say on the Golden Pass Line between Montreux and Lucerne – getting off in Interlaken or Gstaad.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 May 2017 at 15:50:04 #863149

Hi Swissdreamer,

Swiss trains are regular public transport, designed to make traveling easy. Easier than by car in many cases. You can get off the train at any stop, for as long as you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 16:33:22 #863150

Is this true for the scenic trains as well – like the Golden Pass? I believe you have to have a reservation on these trains – especially in July.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 May 2017 at 16:43:58 #863151

This applies to all trains unless you have a seat reservation. In that case you can still get off anywhere but a reservation is for one specific train, so not for the next one. You don’t need a reservation for the trains on the Golden Pass line. Those trains are regular public transport used by locals too. Reservations are recommended for a few trains with panoramic windows between Montreux and Zweisimmen, please see our Golden Pass page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 18:12:41 #863152

Wonderful! Thank You!

• The thread ‘Milan to Montreux, or Zurich to Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.