Milan to Switzerland -trip planning help -6 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 16:45:41 #814790

Hello, MY SON IS ARRIVING FROM US TO rome ON THE 9TH -STAYING 2 DAYS

JUNE 11TH-to milan (i was told i have to take a train there to switzerland)

JUNE 11- TAKING The overnight train to arrive on the 12th morning. how do i get it? what is it called? where does it stop?

I depart on the 17th morning from zurich airport.

Where should i depart from milan- so i can take the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass?

I want the 12th- where am i departing?

the 13th -take the train to where? (staying overnight)

the 14th -take the train to where? (staying overnight)

the 15th -take the train to ZURICH (staying overnight)

16TH- ZURICH ALL DAY

17TH-DEPART TO AIRPORT

I THIS REASONABLE OR IS THERE A BETTER IDEA? I am so confused my head hurts. this is for my 24 year old son- first time traveling

i would like help on which cities to stop in. has anyone done this. I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 18:49:51 #878887

Hi Lisadee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find the train options from Milan to Switzerland (any town you like) using the Swiss railways timetable. Just enter your dates and to/from cities. It doesn’t seem like you know where you (or your son?) wants to go though. If your son doesn’t want to visit Milan you don’t have to. You can take a train from Rome to somewhere in Switzerland (the train will stop briefly in Milan I am sure but you would only change trains).

Do you know why he wants to come to Switzerland? What are his interests? If you’d like some ideas of what can be seen and done in Switzerland click here.

If you want to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, you can do so online and have it emailed to you for printing at home. You can buy it for 3, 4, 8 or 15 days. There is also a youth version that is discounted for those under 26.

Wherever he decides to go I would recommend not changing towns every night. It leaves little time to explore. A town like Lucerne is often a good choice for first time visitors who only have a few days. Have a look on that link and the others with your son and see what interests him the most.

Once you have some ideas we would be happy to give you more feedback and help on your trip plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 19:57:45 #878888

He loves hiking. He loves height. He loves the highest Mountains. Which one offers the best of that. Maybe even a cruise in Lucerne. If he has 4 days but need to be in Zurich on the 4th day. Do you think he should stay in Lucern two nights?

June 12th -Maybe Milan- unless he decides to head to Switzerland – if he does, which stop should he go to based on the places I mentioned below.

If he goes to Milan- He would arrive in Swiss on the 12th-(morning/early afternoon),

He has the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th-and departs on the 17th from Zurich.

He mentioned being interested in the following listed below. Have you been to these? Which one would serve those needs best? Interlaken – Lucerne – Grindelwald- Zurich

Thank you very much.

Lisa

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 8:44:26 #878889

Hi Lisa,

If he wants to stay in the mountain areas then I would suggest Grindelwald or Interlaken as a good base for at least 2 nights. Then he could go to Luzern for another 2 nights and then head to Zurich. Zurich has a nice old town but isn’t near the mountains so many people just go straight to Zurich airport (from Lucerne for example).

It sounds like he will be in Switzerland for 4 or 5 days – a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass could work – just buy a ticket from Rome (or Milan) to his first town (say Grindelwald or Interlaken) and then have the STP start the next day.

The highest accessible mountain in Switzerland is Jungfraujoch and he can take a train there from Interlaken or Grindelwald. The train station sits at 3450 meters (over 11,000 feet).

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all trips here.

Other mountains in the Jungfrau region (around Interlaken and Grindelwald) are noted here & mountains around Lucerne are noted here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 13:11:20 #878890

That was a great suggestion, we would like to do. What do you think about flying in from Rome versus taking the train to Milan then to Grindelwald or interlaken…then do the rest you suggested. Would it be worth it? Is the train far from the best place to stay? or would it just be best to stay near the train station.

would you happen to know what people do with their bags if they stay at hostels?

you mentioned just going straight to the airport from Lucerne. Is that also done by train?

last question- should he buy the 2 country eurorail? if he buys that one, will it work on the trains that require reservation? do we just go somewhere and make a reservation without having to pay again.

youre awesome. thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 16:01:17 #878891

WHAT SITE should i use to buy a TICKET FROM MILAN TO GRINDELWALD OR INTERLAKEN, before i use the travel pass.? or

If i get the 2 country eurorail ticket doesnt it work on all trains from milan to all places in switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 18:32:08 #878892

I don’t think flying would be worth the trouble. You’d have to fly into Zurich and then train back to Grindelwald – overall I’m not sure how much time you would save if any (perhaps from Rome it could work out ok time-wise).

You can see a few hotel suggestions for Interlaken here and Grindelwald here – the list will indicate how close the hotel is to the train station as well.

There are usually lockers at every hostel where he can keep his bag while he goes out.

Yes, all travel in Switzerland would be done by train (and a little by bus sometimes). The timetable link from my last post will give you all the details for any trip he does.

No trains in Switzerland require or need reservations (except a couple panoramic trains which I don’t think he’ll be on – noted here). So with a rail pass he won’t need any extra ticket (for most trips) or a reservation.

Yes, a Eurail Pass would cover the trip from Rome or Milan on into almost all towns in Switzerland. The Eurail Select Pass will cover the trip as far as Interlaken – he’ll have to buy a discounted ticket from Interlaken to Grindelwald and/or on to Jungfraujoch (easily done at any rail station in Switzerland, show the office the rail pass he has and they will give the appropriate discount). See the coverage area of the Eurail Select Pass here (PDF Map).

If you don’t get the Eurail Select Pass and need to buy a ticket from Italy into Switzerland we have a list of online retailers here.

I hope that helps finalize his plans! 🙂

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 March 2018 at 21:05:32 #878893

Hi Lisa,

The quickest train connection from Rome to Grindelwald takes 7 hours. You won’t gain much by flying as Grindelwald is 3 hours from Zurich airport. The train allows you to see much more of the scenery, and it’s more eco-friendly as well. If you only get a pass for Switzerland then the ticket to the Swiss border can be as cheap as $32 if you book well in advance, although usually more like $50-60, which is still a good deal. See Lucas’s link for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 12:26:39 #878894

thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 12:26:57 #878895

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 18:19:35 #878896

Today I tried to book my trip from Milan to Grindelwald on June 11thThe eurail rep was able to give me information on the italy train but not for the connecting train from MILAN TO SWISS. Is there a limit as to how early you can book it?

I might end up doing it myself. so I buy my travel pass flexs.. Then i go and purchase the italy train on trenitalia? then i book the swiss connection right? That should eb free right? doesnt the travel pass count as a day making it FREE? the rep told me there was going to be a reservation charge for that connecting train. Did i get this all correct?

On Which website should i do this whole process?

If you have any suggestions on this I would appreciate it as I think i will do it myself because the eurail pricing was a little but higher.

Also, Is it worth it to take the 1st class versus 2nd class for ages 24 and 28 trying to save money?

Thee may be 3 total changes…7 hour trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 7:09:40 #878897

Hi Lisadee,

If you end up getting a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex then I would buy a ticket to the Swiss/Italian border from Milan – try buying here. Then your rail pass would cover the rest of the trip to Grindelwald.

You don’t need to reserve the train portion within Switzerland – only the Italian leg to Domodossola when you buy the ticket. Once the train departs Domodossola (you don’t need to change trains there normally) you just show the Swiss Travel Pass to any train personnel who asks.

No, there is no need to buy 1st class seats if you are trying to save money. Very similar experience even if you weren’t on a budget. 🙂 Trains from Milan to Grindelwald can be done in as little as 4 hours depending on the train you pick.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 9:13:01 #878898

Oh. OK. So am I buying 1 tickets from ROMe to Milan.

Yhen buying another ticket to the border?

Then just switching to Domodossola at the border? Will there always be seats available without a reservation?

I saw a picture of a train going over a high bridge. Do they go over bridges on the way to Grindelwald from there. Looks amazing!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 13:05:45 #878899

Do you think we will need 6 days of passes? On the day where we are not going from one location to another…we will be doing boats, ferries, lifts, museums, mountains etc.

I’m assuming its easier not to pay at each thing and it may end up costly?

I F I USE THE 8 DAY TRAVEL PASS: (WHAT DO YOU THINK)

6/11 -FOR TRAVEL FROM BORDER OF ITALY TO GRINDELWALD

6/12- FOR GRINDELWALD ACTIVITES ALL DAY (NOT LEAVING GRINDELWALD)

6/13- FROM GRINDEWALD – TO INTERLAKEN – TO LUCERNE

6/14 -FULL DAY OF TRANSPORTATIONS IN LUCERNE – BOAT – MT PILATUS

6/15 -FULL DAY OF TRANSPORTATIONS IN LUCERNE –

6/16 -FROM LUCERNE TO ZURICH -FULL DAY IN ZURICH -MUSEUMS ETC

6/17 LEAVE (WONT NEED IT)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 16:18:52 #878900

You can buy a ticket from Rome to the Swiss border (Domodossola) or Rome to Milan and then Milan to Domodossola. It depends on if you are staying in Milan at all?

Seats on the Swiss train shouldn’t be an issue at all. You don’t need to switch trains at Domodossola – it is just the border station. The train probably goes on to Brig before any change is required (it could be another town). It depends on the train you take from Milan (or Rome). The timetable will tell you where you need to change trains.

Yes, there are some bridges in Switzerland but I don’t know exactly which route you are taking so I can’t be sure you’ll go over one.

I would guess an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is worth it yes. To know for sure you need to do the math and calculate all the costs for train tickets to compare with rail passes: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

PS please don’t write in ALL CAPS. It is against forum rules. 🙂

• The thread ‘Milan to Switzerland -trip planning help -6 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.