Milan Zermat Lucern

• Nauman
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 August 2014 at 8:44:10 #806579

Hi Everyone,

I bit of a search ended up in the following route which seems best to me.

Milan > Brig > Zermatt : Total trip time 3:27 hours or 3:48 hours depending how early I take the train.

After a nigh stay in Zermat:

Zermat > Andermatt via Glacier Express (2:50 hours) and then from Andermatt > Lucern via R and IR. Total trip time 5.49 hours out of which 3 hours will be in GE.

And there is another way to reach lucerne i.e. Zermat > Visp > Bern > Lucerne – Total trip time 3:42 hours (2 hours less than GE route)

My concern is to reach Lucerne while enjoying Panoramic Train but on the cost of additional 2 hours. Is it good to go this way ? Will i be covering enough scenic routes to Andermatt

Rgds…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2014 at 9:06:03 #840852

Hi Nauman,

I would say the route through Andermatt is worth it. The faster route is only scenic for the first hour or so until Visp, and then 20 more minutes before Thun. The rest of it is not in the Alps.

The route through Andermatt can even be made more memorable if you include the boat like the Wilhelm Tell Express does. The route would be: Zermatt – Brig – Andermatt (local trains are fine, you don’t need the official Glacier Express per se). Andermatt – Göschenen, Göschenen – Flüelen, Flüelen – Lucerne by boat. You will miss some beautiful sections of the Glacier Express, like the Oberalp Pass and Rhine valley, but you can save that for a next time hopefully. And instead you will have the most scenic route from Zermatt to Lucerne.

Nauman
    Participant
    19 posts
    17 August 2014 at 9:32:27 #840853

Hi,

Flüelen – Lucerne by boat is similar to what I am planning to do in Lucern i.e. Lake Lucerne and Mount Rigi ? If that is the case than it will be a duplication of route, dont you think so ?

-Nauman

Flüelen
    Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2014 at 9:36:34 #840854

Hi Nauman,

Well, it’s a large lake, so it depends on what you plan to do. Part of it may be duplicate (the leg closest to Lucerne). If you include the boat in this trip, you will have covered almost the whole lake, so you can choose to do different things on the other days. Or you can just do the trip all by train as you suggested.

You can even take the boat from Flüelen to Treib, take the funicular up to Seelisberg, then the bus to Stans and finally the train to Lucerne. Again a beautiful route and no duplication with a trip to the Rigi. Be sure to check the timetable.

• The thread ‘Milan Zermat Lucern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.