Milano Centrale – Chur and return in two days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 4:15:51 #808896

I’m thinking of travelling from Milano Centrale through Tirano to Chur and return in early June. I’ve read about a coach from Lugano to Tirano and then the Bernina Express, although I’m quite happy with a less touristy train from Tirano

1. Do I need to return to Milano the same way?
    2. What are the best train connections for this?
    3. Where should I stop overnight? I probably have two nights.
    4. What is the best ticket? I won’t be making any other rail journeys in Switzerland although I will be making journeys by train in Italy.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 April 2016 at 8:08:27 #850726

Hi swissrail, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. No, you can pick any route you like.
    2. Please see the timetable.
    3. There are many options. Here’s a suggestion if you like lots of scenic train rides in your two days:
    • Train from Milano to Lugano;
    • Bernina Express bus to Tirano;
    • Either the Bernina Express train or any local train to St. Moritz;
    • Spend the night in St. Moritz, or any nearby town.
    • Glacier Express to Andermatt;
    • Cogwheel train down to Göschenen;
    • Train to Milano.

Once you have a fixed plan you can look into tickets/passes. See here please to get started.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 10:26:12 #850727

Many thanks for your response. I greatly appreciate the help.

Do I book one ticket from Milano to St Moritz which includes the Bernina Express bus from Lugano to Tirano? I’ve tried to work it out from the timetable but there doesn’t seem to be any mention of the bus. Then if I stay in St Moritz overnight, the next day I could go on to Chur, stay there overnight, and then on day 3 go down to Andermatt, Goschenen, and on to Milan. Would that make sense?

What ticket would I get to cover all that?

Many thanks again,

Chris

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 April 2016 at 5:45:42 #850728

Hi Chris,

You need to check each leg individually. If you don’t do that the timetable provides the quickest way to get from Milano to St. Moritz, which does not include that scenic bus route.

The Swiss part of the suggested route costs about CHF 180 if you buy regular tickets. A Swiss Half Fare Card would only be worth it if you also plan to do a cable car or any other transportation which is discounted by that card.

Tickets within Switzerland can be purchased on the day, but some trains from Milano to Switzerland require a seat reservation so advanced booking is recommended. The Bernina Express bus and train (not the regular local trains) require a seat reservation as well. That also applies to the Glacier Express, but with an overnight stay in Chur you might as well just take the regular trains. Most tickets should be available through http://www.raileurope.com.au/ destinations/countries /article/switzerland (as you live in Australia; more options here). You’d normally buy one ticket for each day, but make sure it covers the desired route. When buying online, it could be easier to split tickets, e.g. Milano to Lugano, Lugano to Tirano, etc.

Staying in Chur does make sense. The town has a wonderful historical town center. It’s the oldest town in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 21:48:52 #850729

Dear Arno,

Many thanks again for your help with my proposed journey.

From what you say I assume it is best to purchase “point-to-point” tickets.

I will try to work out the journey and if I require further guidance will contact you.

Kind regards,

Chris

• The thread ‘Milano Centrale – Chur and return in two days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.