Milano to Nuremberg by car current road conditions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 14:26:27 #819443

Hello,

Tomorrow early morning I will be travelling from Milan (Italy) to Nuremberg (Germany) by car.

Planning to go all the way through A13 motorway (north), is there any snow on the way or the winter road service is good enough to keep the roads clean? Do I need snow chains?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 16:23:12 #901923

Hi shivverpl and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Eastern Switzerland, western Austria and southern Germany got hit with major snow storms the past few days. I wouldn’t make the drive if I could avoid it.

As far as I know the A13 is open but you need winter tires (of course) and I’d have chains if I had to make the drive. Mountain passes are mostly closed, but you’ll be able to take the San Bernadino Tunnel

See the following pages for more details: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficinfo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 17:57:40 #901924

Thank you for your kind answer.

I saw some storms, but I thought they are only in higher placed areas, not in low lands where the motorway goes.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to cancel my trip tomorrow as I need to be in the evening in Germany.

You are saying about winter tires and chain, it means that the snow is lying on the motorway?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 18:14:24 #901925

I would expect snow in some areas yes. The mountain passes are closed but not all the roads are at low elevation.

Are you renting a car? I’d make sure it has winter tires before traveling through Switzerland and other countries in the winter.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2019 at 18:15:02 #901926

Hi Shivverpl,

Storms affect terrain in all altitudes, but could be a bigger problem in the high mountains. Your motorway is not just in the low lands. Motorways at any altitude can become difficult to drive if the weather is extreme enough, or closed even.

Winter tires or at least good quality all season tires are required in winter, regardless if there’s snow on the road. Driving on summer tires is taking a big risk for yourself and others in the road. If you don’t have a car that is equipped for winter, or if you don’t have the driving skills, I strongly recommend to go by train. Safety first!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 19:07:33 #901927

Considering to go through Slovenia, but not sure if it will be better there, unfortunately, I’m not having winter tires with me in Italy as I didn’t expect to go North anytime soon, it’s an unexpected situation.

I will have a look to find the way through other countries.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 19:24:43 #901928

I’d highly recommend taking a train or flying instead.

Best of luck whichever way you go!

http://www.ch.ch/en/winter-tyres/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 21:18:36 #901929

Hello,

Just to say thank you for all your advice 😉 I passed through safely, there was snow on the mountains but nothing on the road. Probably I was lucky to pass this way during calm and warm hours.

All the best for you.

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 January 2019 at 8:20:47 #901930

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know.

• The thread ‘Milano to Nuremberg by car current road conditions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.