Milano – Tirano – St Moritz by Train Advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2012 at 10:29:18 #805243

Hello,

I need to get to St Moritz for my wedding in July. I’m thinking of flying into Milan.
    Then I’d like to take a scenic train to get to St Moritz. I don’t mind if it takes a few hours, as long as it’s safe and not very tiring.

I’m aware that there is the option of taking Bernina Express or a regional train from Tirano to St Moritz.

However, when I look at schedules, it looks like I’ll have a to wait a few hours in Tirano to catch Bernina Express and transfer over, so the regional train Tirano-St Moritz seems to make more sense.

1. Is the regional train (Tirano-St Moritz) just as nice as Bernina Express? Will I still be able to enjoy the views?

2. Is the whole route Milano – Tirano – St Moritz safe to do for a young woman by herself?

3. Is there space for luggage on these regional trains? I’ll be bringing at least a large suitcase and my bag with the wedding dress, so I don’t want to be nervous about either of them being ruined or stolen in the process.

4. Is the transfer in Tirano easy to do? Is it as simple as exiting 1 train and boarding the other? It’s a consideration since I’ll have luggage.

5. Is this trip nice? I.e. can I order some food / have quiet time etc.? I’d like to have nice impressions and get some rest before the big day.

If someone has done this trip in the past, please advise. Thank you very much for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    14 May 2012 at 15:23:11 #836033

Hello ivynyc,

I guess you have found the timetable of the Bernina Express and the Swiss Timetable (where you indicated you want to travel via Tirano).

As for your questions:

1. Bernina Express vs. regional train: the landscape will be the same of course and the route the trains take are identical. Even on a regional train you can enjoy the views, but the train might be crowded as you’ll travel during high season. I can understand that waiting longer at Tirano can be a bit unpleasant. On the other hand, the Bernina Express is more comfortable and spacious and you have the opportunity to make a reservation.

2. I have hardly any experience in Italy, but one of the reasons I love to be in Switzerland is, that it is, generally speaking, a very safe country.

3. Travelling with your luggage won’t be a problem, even in a regional train.

4. The part of Tirano railway station where you arrive and the part of the station from where you will depart are alongside of each other. You’ll have to walk a bit, but my guess is that it won’t be a problem.

5. This is a really beautiful trip indeed! But if you prefer some quitness and the possibility of ordering some food you could consider making a reservation for the Bernina Exress. It might be worth your while.

I hope this helps.

I wish you a nice trip and a beautiful wedding day!

• The thread ‘Milano – Tirano – St Moritz by Train Advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.