May 14, 2012 - 12:29 PM
I need to get to St Moritz for my wedding in July. I'm thinking of flying into Milan.
Then I'd like to take a scenic train to get to St Moritz. I don't mind if it takes a few hours, as long as it's safe and not very tiring.
I'm aware that there is the option of taking Bernina Express or a regional train from Tirano to St Moritz.
However, when I look at schedules, it looks like I'll have a to wait a few hours in Tirano to catch Bernina Express and transfer over, so the regional train Tirano-St Moritz seems to make more sense.
1. Is the regional train (Tirano-St Moritz) just as nice as Bernina Express? Will I still be able to enjoy the views?
2. Is the whole route Milano - Tirano - St Moritz safe to do for a young woman by herself?
3. Is there space for luggage on these regional trains? I'll be bringing at least a large suitcase and my bag with the wedding dress, so I don't want to be nervous about either of them being ruined or stolen in the process.
4. Is the transfer in Tirano easy to do? Is it as simple as exiting 1 train and boarding the other? It's a consideration since I'll have luggage.
5. Is this trip nice? I.e. can I order some food / have quiet time etc.? I'd like to have nice impressions and get some rest before the big day.
If someone has done this trip in the past, please advise. Thank you very much for your help!