Missing a train with regular Swiss train ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 19:31:04 #822792

I will be purchasing a Swiss Travel Pass for my last 8 days in Switzerland but need to buy a one way ticket from Zurich Flughofen to Lucerne for my first day. Looks I may need to transfer at Zurich HB and have only like 8 minutes to find the next train on my ticket. If I miss the ticketed train, I can take a later train with the same ticket

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 July 2019 at 21:24:52 #917549

Yes you can take any train that day (assuming you don’t have a Supersaver ticket which is tied to a particular train). There are trains that run direct from the airport to Luzern as well. Check to see if they match your timetable and avoid the hassle of the very large and busy Zurich main station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 23:08:40 #917550

Swiss main line trains between major towns and cities run at least once every hour, in many cases twice per hour. As such there are plenty of trains from Zurich Flughafen and Zurich HB to Luzern, and the journey is short (1 hour 10 min by the direct trains), so you can allow yourself more than 8 minutes! An ordinary ticket is valid on any train so you should follow the following process:

1) exit customs hall after getting off the plane

2) make your way to the railway station area in the airport main building, follow signs for Bahn/Railway (down to Level 01)

http://www.burri.world/sites/ default/files/styles/t easer_12_cols/public/i mg_9655_web.jpg?itok=wsfxDsdq

3) Find the railway ticket machines (they are quite easy to operate – choose your preferred language first)

4) purchase 1 way ticket Zurich Flughafen – Luzern

3) find out what time the next direct Zurich Flughafen – Luzern train is. They depart Zurich Flughafen at xx.15 past each hour (ie 10.15, 11.15 etc)

4) if you have just missed one, decide if you (a) prefer to wait until the next direct train, or (b) feel confident to make the change at Zurich HB

5) If your decision is (b), take the next available train to Zurich HB, and then at Zurich HB look for the next train to Luzern. The fast trains depart at xx.04 and xx.35 (the latter being the direct train that has come from Flughafen.)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 23:34:01 #917551

Hi Lyle-

You got good advice. I’ll add one more item.

There is a nice food court in the train station building on the ground floor. Directly over the station. It offers a pleasant way to relax for a few minutes, if you wish to wait for a particular train.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2019 at 16:20:13 #917552

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Appreciate it. I have checked the on line train schedule from Zurich Flughafen to Lucerne for Monday, August 5. We arrive by plane from Munich at 1445. There is a direct train to Lucerne (IR75) that leaves at 1615. I was surprised to see that the next direct train to Lucerne doesn’t leave until at about 1815, two hours later. So if we miss the 1615 train, we will probably have to take a train to Zurich HB and then catch a train to Lucerne from there. I would certainly like to avoid the hassle of going through Zurich HB but it is good to know it can be done with confidence if we have to.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 17:11:15 #917553

I’m surprised, too, but that is indeed what the schedule says.

Since you are entering from a Schengen country, if you have only carry on luggage, it is possible that you will make the 1515.

It is not necessary to wait for the 1615. You can likely catch the 1546, However, you can wait for the 1615 if you wish, and you will have time for a cup of coffee in the food court on the ground floor of the train station. If you do take that 1546, it requires 9 minute connection in Zürich main station. However, you will have options. Because it is a multilevel station, though not terribly large and with good signage, you may chose to not rush and get the second available connection. It could be the train that left the airport at 1615, for example. Note that the direct trains from the airport all pass through and stop at Zürich main station. Some come in on a lower level, and it can take a few minutes to get up to the main platform (Tracks 3 to 18), where most trains for Luzern depart.

The 1546 from the airport does come in on track 31, on a lower level at CORRECTION – 1555.

Between 1500 and 1615 there are 14 or 15 trains from the airport to Zürich main station, taking 10-15 minutes. (Ignore the T10) trams…they take 49 minutes.)

For example, from Zurich main station, there are direct trains at xx04 and xx35, sometimes at xx39. There is also one at xx10 with a 6 minute connection at Rotkreuz. That is a small station, it is not a difficult connection.

At Zürich main station, the luggage carts can go on escalators. They are located in queues all over the station. To take one from the queue, you insert a 2 CHF coin in a slot, and the chain that connects the cart to the queue comes loose. It may require a firm tug. When you are finished with the cart, plug it back in in another queue, and your coin will pop out. Usually with no difficulty.

I think a 1 Euro coin will work, too.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Missing a train with regular Swiss train ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.