Money changer in Switzerland for old UK notes

• Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 September 2022 at 7:47:40 #828239

Hi all!

I have the old paper UK bank notes £ that I wish to exchange to Euros.

However, all money changers in my country (Malaysia) stop receiving the £ old notes as 30 September 2022 is the last day UK allows to use them.

I will be traveling to Switzerland on 11 September 2022.

I would be really grateful if you know money changer / bank in Switzerland that still accepts UK old notes? Zurich, Konstanz, Aarau, Interlaken, Zug are my destinations.

Massive thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 September 2022 at 8:35:41 #946371

Hi Qaphsiel,

I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to your question. Some moneychangers or banks in Zurich might still accept the old banknotes as legal tenders. Perhaps you can exchange them at UK bank branches such as Barclay Banks on Beethovenstrasse in Zurich.

Regards,

Anna

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 September 2022 at 11:21:12 #946372

Hi Anna,

Your reply is absolutely useful to me.

I just drop an email to Barclay Investment Bank Beethovenstrasse to ask if they accept the exchange.

I also happen to come across the “by post” method.

We can mail the old notes to Bank of England. They can bank in to my Malaysian bank account.

Mailing from Malaysia can be too risky.

Anna, if I go to any post office in Switzerland, do you know what mail service I can ask for to send a trackable package to the UK? Do you have a rough estimation of how much would it cost for a small trackable package to the UK?

Massive thanks.

Qaphsiel

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 September 2022 at 12:09:02 #946373

Hi Qaphsiel,

Perhaps you can use the international registered mail service offered by Swiss Post. Prices vary according to mail types and weights. You can check the prices here: http://www.post.ch/en/sending-letters/registered-mail/registered-international

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

Jasbir
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 September 2022 at 7:42:17 #946374

Hi Qaphsiel,

I have one note of the old pound sterling. Will be in Switzerland on the 5th September. Will try to exchange and see if it works. Will update on this link.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 September 2022 at 10:44:10 #946375

Thanks in advance Jasbir, that will be helpful!

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    6 September 2022 at 5:59:14 #946376

Massive thanks to you Jasbir! I am still waiting for a reply from Barclay Bank. Were you able to exchange your old pound notes in Switzerland?

Jasbir
    Participant
    12 posts
    8 September 2022 at 19:00:26 #946377

Hi Qaphsiel,

Just to let you know that I failed in my attempt to get my pound sterling changed to Swiss francs at the main railway station in Zurich. The person said they have long stopped accepting the old pounds. I asked him whether the National Bank in Zurich would accept the old pounds and he said No. That’s the update from me.

Jasbir.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 September 2022 at 7:36:44 #946378

Hi Jasbir,

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Money changer in Switzerland for old UK notes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.