I'm planning/hoping to cross Monte Moro Pass into Italy around October 10th. The last place I can be sure to find a place to stay will be Saas Almagell as best I can tell. From there to the pass is a 5 hour hike. I expect it will be that and more, if the trail is passable at all. So that's a full day. At the pass I have found one possible place to stay - RIFUGIO OBERTO MAROLI CAI. I have emailed them to sort out if they will be open for overnight guests but it's been some weeks now and I haven't heard anything from them. I wonder if anyone has any information that might be helpful. I expect snow could be an issue but that should mean traffic. I see lifts on the Italian side but none on the Swiss side.
It's weird that you haven't heard from them. I would expect them to be there during summer. Did you try calling them at +39 0324 65544? You can also try the tourist office in Macugnaga: www.macugnaga-monterosa.it/it_IT/inv erno/contatti
Thanks for that. Got a reply from the tourist office that the rifugio will not be open. At this point it looks like, if the trail is passable at all, I will have to get myself down the hill to Macugnaga. Waiting now to hear if the cable cars down will be running, how long the hike might be if not, and if there is anywhere else for a weary soul to seek shelter.
Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!
Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.