Cabin type accommodation in Montreux and Lucerne

• Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    5 July 2019 at 10:36:38 #822667

Hi,

I’m looking for accommodation in 2 locations with the foll specifications. I’ve been looking for a while now but have not had too much luck. Hope someone in this forum can help.

No of people: 2 adults & 2 kids (5y and 22m)

Area: Montreux; dates – 6-9 Sep19

Area: Lucerne; dates – 9-13 Sep19

Budget – CHF 80-130 per night preferably with breakfast

Easily accessible since we will have luggage and a stroller

We will travel by public transport. No car.

Style – I don’t know if this is achievable but I’m looking for more a cabin/lodge type feel rather than a hotel room/apartment style with nice views. I couldn’t find many in the Lucerne area… the ones I did see, did not have easy access to public transport.

Many thanks

Deshani

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2019 at 8:53:41 #916973

Hi Deshani,

To be honest, and as you have already noticed, it will be very hard to find something that suits all your criteria. The main reason for that is your budget and the dates. It’s easier to rent for a full week, and to book way in advance. Many properties will be booked already. Also this type of lodging does not exist at public transport hubs, which are typically surrounded by hotels and sometimes apartments. Smaller train stations or bus stops nearby is a possibility though. Public transport gets you almost anywhere in Switzerland.

Here’s what I could find in the Lucerne area, on Mount Rigi, close to a small train stop (Rigi-Kaltbad) and small supermarket: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Hotel/Apartme nt_Wohnung_Grun.htm. Also see https://www.interhome. com/switzerland/centra l-switzerland/rigi-kaltbad/?arrivaldate=2019-09-09&duration=4.

For Montreux I found https://www.interhome. com/switzerland/lake-geneva-region/montreux/apartm ent-villa-tamara-ch1820.280.2/?arrivalDate=2019-09-06&duration=3&pax=4. Close to train stop Vuarennes.

The above suggestions are apartments, but at least close to public transport, and first one is on the mountain so you can walk straight into nature.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    6 July 2019 at 12:00:41 #916974

Thankyou so much for taking the time to look into this Arno. It is really appreciated! This forum is super helpful for newbies to Switzerland like myself. I understand what you mean in your message. I will check on the leads you provided. I am looking at Swiss Historic Hotel Masson in Veytaux for our Montreux leg of the trip. The hotel seems very nice and yes it is over the budget I mentioned but I’m also interested to know how accessible it is via public transport given that we have the 2 kids plus luggage and a stroller. Do you know if there is a climb involved? How can I check that out? Is there a tool?

Thanks again

Deshani

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 July 2019 at 15:34:18 #916975

Hi Deshani,

You can use several tools to find out about the exact location and accessibility of hotels:

For Hotel Mâsson you should be entering “1820 Veytaux, Rue Bonivard 5”. It’s at a 5 minute uphill walk from the bus stop “Veytaux, Bonivard”, but along well-paved roads. It should be doable with a stroller, but it’s not the most centrally located hotel and you’ll have to take extra traveling time into account if you stay there. You could contact the hotel to find out if they provide any form of pick-up and luggage service.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    7 July 2019 at 15:01:57 #916976

Thanks Annika. I have decided against Hotel Masson since they have an additional charge for the 5yr old, so it makes it even more expensive than it already is. I’m currently thinking between Parc et Lac and Hotel Bristol.

Of course, it doesn’t have that old style charm & feel to it but I guess we’ll have to prioritize and choose accordingly.

Once again, Thank you!

• The thread ‘Cabin type accommodation in Montreux and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.