Montreux-Chillon-Gruyère-Broc-Wengen by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 3:14:49 #814779

We will be staying in Montreux, will it be possible for us to visit Chillon castle in the morning, cheese and chocolate factories and then reach Wengen by 8PM? How much time is recommended in the cheese and chocolate factory ? If all three are not possible in a day, are Chillon and Broc doable in one day and travel to Wengen ?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 12:41:48 #878856

Hi trip2018 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The timetable for Swiss railways will give you all the trip details and schedules you need. The most direct route to Wengen is a little over 3 hours so you would need to leave before 5pm (exact departure time depends on date of travel).

If you get an early start to your day and don’t mind being a bit rushed you could do everything by 4pm. A trip to Broc is about 1 hour 40 minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 14:15:54 #878857

We are travelling with two kids, so I think we will opt for a leisurely pace. Do you know how much time we should spend in Broc? Should we have lunch in Montreux or Broc ? I understand its okay to travel with luggage to Broc, the chocolate factory is 2 mins from the station and there are lockers available at the factory. Will there be a huge line for the tour?

Also, here is our complete itinerary if you have any suggestions

25th: Reach Montreux from Paris ( overnight in Montreux)

26th: Chillon castle, Broc (train to Wengen)

27th: Wengen

28th: Wengen

29th: Wengen

30th : stay in Chur

1st: Bernina express roundtrip to Luzern (not doing the bus – we find trains more comfortable and hassle free)

1st-5th -Luzern (take day trips to Thun,Mt. Rigi, Mt. Pilatus, Transportation museum etc.)

6th night- Zurich

7th morning flight

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 17:24:45 #878858

Sorry, I can’t say if the factory will be busy when you arrive.

I would guess around 1.5 hours at each factory. Lunch in Broc would be a good idea certainly.

The itinerary looks just fine! I’d be tempted to drop Chillon Castle on the 26th. Leave you more time in Broc (which the kids might well enjoy more) before Wengen.

Have you looked into rail passes for your trip? A Swiss Travel Pass would work well for your trip I think. If you haven’t decided on one read our page on how to choose the best rail pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2018 at 19:50:10 #878859

“1st: Bernina express roundtrip to Luzern (not doing the bus – we find trains more comfortable and hassle free)”

Do you mean Chur – Tirano – Chur – Luzern?

What month are you travelling or did I miss that?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 20:23:02 #878860

Yes, Chur – Tirano – Chur – Luzern in July. Take the first train to Tirano and be back in Chur around 7PM to take another train to Luzern. We are planning to send our bags from Wengen to Luzern and will have minimal luggage in Chur.

Chillon looks beautiful and my husband wants to see Lake Geneva, we will probably not spend much time in there exploring.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 0:05:24 #878861

We visited Broc in July a few years ago and there were long queues then as it is in high tourist season.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 3:32:06 #878862

I didnt think about the lines at Broc, how long the wait period can be? Not looking forward to a train journey and then waiting hours in the queue to get in.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2018 at 3:44:00 #878863

See also http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/permalink/g2 DFNqDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ regarding Chocolate trips.

• The thread ‘Montreux-Chillon-Gruyère-Broc-Wengen by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.