Montreux for 2 days Lavaux-castle-cheese/chocolate

Montreux for 2 days Lavaux-castle-cheese/chocolate

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 27, 2018 - 10:07 AM

Hi

I will travel to Montreux from Wengen in June 19th, 2018 - June 21st. I will arrive in Montreux around 10.00am. I need your advice which best itinerary I should do, as I do not know the proximity between areas that I would like to visit.

Day 1. Arrive in Montreux, explore the promenade and vevey, Chateu de Chillon and Lausanne

Day 2, Explore Lavaux, Chocolate and gruyere cheese.

I cant decide if I have to put visit Lausanne on Day 1 or Day 2.

I also need your advice if it is more convenient to rent a car on day 2 or should I take tour or panoramic train chocolate tour.

There is a free parking card if we bring car in Lavaux area, (or Montreux) where can I get those card?

Thank you

Kind regards

Gina

Arno
Arno
10934 posts
expert &
May 27, 2018 - 3:26 PM

Hi Gina,

Your plans are a bit optimistic for 2 days only I'm afraid. Château de Chillon is huge and takes at least 2 hours for a "quick" visit, unless you skip parts of it. Lausanne also takes half a day to get there and walk for a few hours, excluding any museum visits: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lausanne. If you have a lot of energy, perhaps you can travel straight to Lausanne, explore the town, then go to Montreux and walk along the lake to the castle for a visit there.

On day 2 you'd see either the Lavaux area or the chocolate/cheese factories + Gruyères I would say. Combining all in one day is not impossible but you won't have time to actually fully see the places. The Lavaux area is best seen on foot: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses.

You won't need a car for any of the activities. I am not familiar with a free parking card. You will get free public transport, as your hotel will give you a Montreux Riviera Card: www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/hotels.

Last modified on May 27, 2018 - 3:28 PM by Arno
Vidhi J
Vidhi J
35 posts
May 27, 2018 - 4:49 PM in reply to Arno

Sorry to butt in on the conversation but I had a question for Arno. I'm staying at Hotel Eurotel Montreux for a couple of days in June and I might be required to pay for a few journeys between Lausanne station and Ouchy because of a couple of cruises I'll be taking. Will the hotel give me a free Montreux Riviera card? If yes, will it cover the trips between Lausanne station and Ouchy?

Arno
Arno
10934 posts
expert &
May 28, 2018 - 5:30 AM in reply to Vidhi J

Hi Vidhi,

Yes, you will receive the Montreux Riviera Card. It only covers traveling in the immediate area. A trip to Lausanne would be covered until Vevey. If you go to the last link in my previous post you'll find a link to coverage information under "More on other websites".

Feel free to ask more questions in a new thread!

Last modified on May 28, 2018 - 5:30 AM by Arno
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 28, 2018 - 8:22 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno

I just checked that travelling to gruyere by car is only 30min from Montreux, compare to by train take about +/- 90 min. Also, if we do not join some tour (chocolate train), can we enter the chocolate and cheese factory? where is it actually located? (I read some comments about the factory location and got confused).

Which route should I take to reach Grueyere cheese factory and the chocolate factory via car and via train. Is the chocolate factory located in Gruyere?

I also think to drop Lausanne if it is not possible to do it all at once.

Thanks

Gina

Lucas
Lucas
8070 posts
expert &
May 28, 2018 - 10:47 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hi Gina,

La Maison du Gruyere is in Gruyere and La Maison Cailler chocolate factory is next to Broc-Fabrique (station in Broc). Just a few minutes on foot from each station.

You can check train or bus options between the towns on the Swiss railways timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
May 28, 2018 - 11:36 AM in reply to Lucas

Ok Got it! Thanks Lucas!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018