Montreux to Interlaken via Brig and Spiez

Montreux to Interlaken via Brig and Spiez

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Pranav
Pranav
12 posts
Apr 22, 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hi !

We would be in Grindelwald for 1 weak from May 18th and would want to dedicate one day to experience scenic train journey. I like the suggestion on webpage www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere under the title "What's the best leg of the route?"

So we plan to take the Golden Pass train to Zweisimmen and Montreux in the mornings hours, spend some time in Montreux; then take a train to Brig; take a local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez; take a train to Interlaken.

What I want to know, why the return leg is suggested via Brig instead of same route back? Also, I see on SBB timetable that Brig to Spiez has two routes, one as suggested here (via Goppenstein and Kandersteg) which longer and takes 1hr08mins and the other via Visp takes only 35mins. Question: Why the longer route? Better views?

Many thanks!

Pranav

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Apr 22, 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi Pranav,

We suggest the other route back so you can see more of Switzerland in one day. Of course you can choose to take the same Golden Pass route back so you can see the same scenery twice.

If you pick the other route, the longer one is much better scenery wise. The shorter one takes less time because it crosses a long tunnel, so nothing to see there.

Have fun!

Pranav
Pranav
12 posts
Apr 22, 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hi Arno,

Thanks for such a swift reply!

Would Swiss Travel Pass work on this longer return journey? I saw the map (PDF) given on www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

It gives "broken red lines" between Brig and Spiez (via Goppenstein and Kandersteg), which would mean "Lines with reduction - 50% or 25%". Is my reading correct? Will the discount on one way be 50% or 25% of the ticket price?

Thanks again!

Pranav

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Apr 22, 2017 - 11:23 AM in reply to Pranav

Hi Pranav,

It's all free. The dashed lines are just tunnels, but free too. It's explained on the page you mentioned.

Pranav
Pranav
12 posts
Apr 22, 2017 - 11:28 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Thanks!

My bad - I mistook "dotted lines" with "dashed lines"! The dotted ones are seen from Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch - which would be 25% reduction.

Best regards

Pranav

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Apr 22, 2017 - 11:31 AM in reply to Pranav

You're welcome. Yes, dotted and dashed, it's tricky but you got it now!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017