About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Montreux or Zermatt in June for travelers with dog
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Montreux or Zermatt in June for travelers with dog

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Twiggy
Twiggy
4 posts
Feb 3, 2020 - 9:54 AM

Hi

I'm trying to finalise our trip (2 adults, 1 dog) for June. This site is fab and has been so informative but I'm looking for personal experiences/opinions on this one.

We fly into Zurich on the 11th June and stay with a friend until the 14th. We will visit Rhine Falls, Appenzel, St Galllen etc with her. On the 14th we will drive to Morzine (France) for a week to visit family. The itinerary for Switzerland after the 20th looks something like this:

20th - Return car to Montreux then either stay in Montreux or take an afternoon train to Zermatt

21st - Montreux or Zermatt

22nd - Montreux or Zermatt

23rd - Zermatt to Wengen - afternoon hike in/around Wengen

24th - Wengen - hiking/mountain excursions etc

25th - Wengen - hiking/mountain excursions etc

26th - Wengen - hiking (I know which hikes i'd like to do but if anyone has any personal favourites i'd love to hear about them)

27th - Wengen to Luzern - afternoon in luzern

28th - Piatus & Luzern then train to overnight in an airport hotel (want to stay close as I don't want a long journey to the airport before a long flight)

29th - Depart from Zurich

Do you think we should stay in Montreux or should we head to Zermatt? Is it worth going for just a few days? As mentioned we will have a dog with us so i'm looking for more outdoor activities rather than museums, castles etc. A few of the walks around the small towns of Montreux & Vevey look lovely and i'm thinking it might be a nice contrast from the mountains.

Thank you

Rail Europe
Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Feb 3, 2020 - 5:30 PM in reply to Twiggy

Hello Twiggy,

Nice to hear you're all coming to Switzerland, 2- and 4-legged! :)

Your itinerary sounds very nice and is well planned. I personally agree with your statement of variety and would maybe suggest staying in Montreux, rather than Zermatt, but it is in deed difficult to compare these two places. It is a personal decision at the end of the day. Get some inspiration below:
- www.myswissalps.com/montreux
- www.myswissalps.com/zermatt

Generally Switzerland is a very dog-friendly country (I myself am a dog LOVER and former dog owner) and you will generally not have any problems taking your dog with you, may this be in the towns or in (most) transport. However, depending on the size of your 4-legged friend, certain regulations apply in transport. See below:
- www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/dogs

The one place you will NOT be able to take your dog along are food stores, there's a strict ban there. Otherwise, restaurants, transport, other shops, you should be widely accepted and even welcome!

As you seem to be actively hiking, make sure to check out below recommendations and input:
- www.myswissalps.com/hiking

For further support of your itinerary find more links below and feel free to get back to us anytime for more information:
- www.myswissalps.com/zurich
- www.myswissalps.com/airports/zurich
- www.myswissalps.com/rhinefalls
- www.myswissalps.com/wengen
- www.myswissalps.com/lucerne
- www.myswissalps.com/pilatus
- www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Feb 3, 2020 - 5:31 PM by Steph
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7535 posts
expert
Feb 3, 2020 - 11:39 PM in reply to Steph

Any quarantine? Evidence of shots required?

Slowpoke

Twiggy
Twiggy
4 posts
Feb 3, 2020 - 11:47 PM in reply to Steph

Thank you Steph.

Twiggy
Twiggy
4 posts
Feb 3, 2020 - 11:48 PM in reply to Slowpoke

No quarantine required and all her vaccinations, blood test etc are up to date.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7535 posts
expert
Feb 4, 2020 - 1:02 AM in reply to Twiggy

<<"No quarantine required and all her vaccinations, blood test etc are up to date.">>

Good to hear.

Quarantine requirements have become looser over the years.

Slowpoke

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020