Montreux to Mont Blanc via charmonix

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2012 at 0:43:44 #804999

hi,

i am visiting Montreux by june second week and would like to know the following:

1.whether we can take mont blanc trip as a day trip from Montreux without using a tour company and whether swiss pass will be valid.If yes,what route have to be taken and how much time it will take for teh return trip.

2. will the climate be ok for the trip in june second week.

Regards,

Dj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    8 March 2012 at 6:03:51 #835113

Hi Dj,

1. Yes you can take a trip to Mont Blanc without using a tour company. By using the Time table (entering Montreux and Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, v.v.) you’ll find times of departure, where to change trains etc. On the Swiss Pass page (click More information, prices and ordering) you’ll find a link to a PDF-overview of the validity of the Swiss Pass. Most of your trip will be for free. Please note though that between Martigny and Chamonix-Mont Blanc a 50 % reduction is not granted (I guess this applies for the French leg of the journey between Le Chatillard and Chamonix).
    This link may be of help if you want to visit (Mont Blanc) Aguille du Midi.

2. I guess the climate will be OK, but no one can predict the weather conditions on the day of your trip. I suggest you check these conditions before you want to make the trip.

Have a nice stay!

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    11 March 2012 at 13:48:07 #835114

Hi,
    I think the “half price not offered” between Martigny and Chamonix needs further investigation. Last summer (2011) we got all the way to Chamnonix – and back – using our Swiss Pass and the line on the current synoptic map is certainly still solid red.
    Andrew

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 March 2012 at 14:23:02 #835115

Hi,

The Swiss Pass is valid through Chamonix. “Half price not offered” means that you can’t purchase tickets for half the fare for the French leg (e.g. with the Swiss Half Fare Card). Free traveling with the Swiss Pass is granted though.

• The thread ‘Montreux to Mont Blanc via charmonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.