Montreux to Zweisimmen and return on Golden Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 20:12:15 #816311

My husband and I are driving through Switzerland in mid-July. I know the trains are great but he likes to drive. I’ve read that the Golden Pass is the most beautiful of all the rail trips in Switzerland and that the best of it is between Montreux and Zweisimmen. So, I would like to book a panoramic train between those 2 towns, returning to Montreux. I see the schedule but I’m not sure of the times and if what I’m thinking of is even possible. Any suggestions?? thanks very much for any help!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 22:16:10 #886761

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB:

The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken.

The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway which runs from Montreux to Zweisimmen, but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

It is very scenic, but the MOB route is far from being the most spectacular (although any dubbing of this nature is going to subjective and personal) in Switzerland.

If you are already in car, you can see all the scenery that the route offers really just by driving the same way.

A better ‘train only’ trip would be to park your car at Visp and go by train Visp – Zermatt – Gornergrat, as Zermatt and Gonergrat are places you can’t drive to.

If you do do the MOB railway you can catch any train, there is no need to book, and in fact you could pick it up anywhere along the line if you fancy.

Here is the timetable PDF for the MOB:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/120.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 1:53:42 #886762

Thank you so much for the information!! We aren’t driving down to Zermatt. With limited time we decided not to go there because if the weather is bad, then we’d be stuff. And we can’t drive to Zermatt itself. My husband didn’t like the idea of leaving the car in the other town. But thank you again for all your information. I had no idea we can just walk up and go. Thanks!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 5:51:10 #886763

Hi Liz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Some trains on the route are panoramic and some are normal regional trains. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trip on your date of travel. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Trains denoted with MOB Panoramic are probably what you want – but regional trains give you the same scenery of course.

It is possible for the panoramic trains to be full in July so a reservation, while not necessary, might be a good idea of you are limited on time.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 13:28:58 #886764

Thank you Lucas!! All info appreciated!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 23:21:49 #886765

If you took the MOB train you would still have to leave the car somewhere, surely?

• The thread ‘Montreux to Zweisimmen and return on Golden Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.