Montreux to Zweisimmen on June 2

• needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:48:59 #816344

Hey Everyone,

As we all know there has been construction on the Golden Pass route from Montreux to Zweisimmen and reservations were not possible until after June 2nd. I see that June 2nd has opened up for reservations but the 2 carriages showing online are both shown as full. Does this mean that we are out of luck on getting on the 0944 train?

Thanks!

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 6:10:40 #886902

Hi Mark,

>> I see that June 2nd has opened up for reservations but the 2 carriages showing online are both shown as full. Does this mean that we are out of luck on getting on the 0944 train?

I would say there is probably some other explanation for what you are seeing – not that the train is fully booked.

I read somewhere that, although some trains will get back to normal from 2 June, the full normal scheduled service is apparently not likely to resume until 5 June 2018.

I can see that reservations in the direction Zweisimmen to Montreux are available again from 2 June, but in the direction you want to travel, 4 June is the first day they seem to be available.

My guess is that the strange results you see on 2 June are probably just a system glitch, and reservations are simply not possible for anyone. Absolutely none of the trains on that day from Montreux to Zweisimmen are showing any seats available for reservation.

However, I would check it on a daily basis just in case anything changes.

After you’ve made that trip, I would be very interested in learning how it turned out!

Alpenrose

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    1 June 2018 at 3:58:06 #886903

Thanks Alpenrose! I will let you know what happens. Assuming I can’t get a reservation, how early should we get to the train station for the 0944 train from Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 6:47:01 #886904

If no one is making/able to make reservations then the train will be empty at Montreux. Getting to the station by 09:30 should give you the pick of the litter as it were.

Whenever I travel on Swiss trains for longer distances I arrive at the station about 15 minutes early to ensure I get a seat where I want. People connecting on trains usually don’t arrive until around 5-10 minutes before departure and I’ve already got my seat.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    2 June 2018 at 7:54:45 #886905

Ok, live report from the field – we were told 2 different things – one that the 944 was completely booked and one the it was not and that reservations were not possible. We decided to not chance it and get on the “normal”, non-panoramic 853. Well, it turns on the 853 IS panoramic and hardly anyone is on it! “Pick of the litter” as Lucas said! Still don’t know about the 944, but we are enjoying a beautiful ride on the 853! Thanks Lucas and Alpenrose666!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 8:27:26 #886906

Thanks for the update!

I’d heard the panoramics are being used “randomly” during the construction work. Glad you lucked out!

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    2 June 2018 at 10:29:32 #886907

Another update – the 944 was NOT full and it was NOT panoramic! 😀 No issues with construction – it appears to be over for now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 13:51:33 #886908

The 09:44 wasn’t? Must be a hiccup on their end as they finished construction. Tt was scheduled to be a panoramic.

Either way thanks for the updates. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 2:14:20 #886909

Isn’t it great when things just fall perfectly into place! Glad to hear back from you, and to see that it went so well for you after all the uncertainty.

The fact that the panoramic train schedule was still a bit topsy-turvy probably explains why reservations were still suspended on 2 June, despite the fact that construction work was already completed. It’s a shame that their booking site doesn’t have the capacity to provide relevant explanatory messages when reservations aren’t possible.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Montreux to Zweisimmen on June 2’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.