More historical information centred on Avenches

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    14 May 2018 at 16:30:56 #815959

Avenches (Roman Aventicum) has recently been been the topic of some discussion on this forum. It is best known for its amphitheatre but travelers, especially those interested in the history of aviation, will probably find this article from SwissInfo very interesting.. I was reading it in French and then saw that it is available in English as well. So I decided to share it with people on this forum. It is entitled The short, dazzling career of Switzerland’s first pilot. Ernest Faillouxbaz was only 17 years old when, in 1910, he became Switzerland’s first pilot. For those who prefer to read the original article, in French, click on the following:Ernest Failloubaz, le destin brisé du premier pilote suisse

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 6:35:55 #885158

Hi Peterli,

Thank you for sharing the article – in English :-).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 May 2018 at 7:01:21 #885159

Hi,

Unfortunately the English translation is not as complete as the original French one, but it is better than no translation at all for those who cannot understand French !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 8:51:09 #885160

I agree. And even the video is in English which is nice.

• The thread ‘More historical information centred on Avenches’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.