Morning trip to Jungfraujoch & afternoon Lake Thun

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2019 at 3:25:10 #821094

I am booked in Wengen and on April 29 I have a trip to Jungfraujoch in the morning and an afternoon boat trip to Lake Thun and St. Beatus Caves. I am afraid that I do not have time for all in one day. Also, I have no idea where I find the schedule of boat trips and where the boats are docked. Can you suggest the best way to plan my day trip and where to find the boat schedules?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 5:09:34 #909868

Hello Lyra and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

It is an ambitious plan. Have a look at this thread – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/boat-schedule-to-st-beatus-caves.

Also http://www.beatushoehlen.swis s/en/information-visit/

Get back to us if that doesn’t answer your questions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 April 2019 at 9:47:11 #909869

Hi Lyra,

All boat trips details can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun. The Route section offers a map and also a link to the boat schedules under “More on other websites”.

Timetables for any mode of transport can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable (do read the instructions before using it).

SHAMOZA
    Participant
    10 posts
    20 April 2019 at 12:38:49 #909870

Hai..

i plan to take boat ride from interlaken to Lake Thun from then train to Brienzer Rothorn.

So from Thun to Brienzer should i take the north part of the lake or south part of the lake (assume both will pass interlaken again) for a good scenary?

Thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 April 2019 at 14:02:29 #909871

Hi Shamoza,

It’s better to do this in reverse: start in Thun, then take the boat to Interlaken West. Then proceed by train to Brienz for the Brienzer Rothorn. The train is on the northern lake shore and offers very nice views.

http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2019 at 21:32:27 #909872

If you plan to combine a boat trip with Brienzer Rothorn then maybe you should be taking the boat on Lake Brienz from Interlaken OST to Brienz and return by train? Lake Thun is east of Interlaken and in the opposite direction to Brienz which is at the far eastern end of Lake Brienz east of Interlaken.

When are you travelling BR only operates from 1 June.

SHAMOZA
    Participant
    10 posts
    20 April 2019 at 23:59:57 #909873

Hi Arno/ Rockoyster,

We are staying at Interlaken so anyhow need to start from interlaken to Thun either Boat or train and Straight to BR.And Return from BR to interlaken by Boat. Short stop over at Thun for walkaround. Its worth going to west (train – nice view?) or should i skip it and go to straight to east and BR?

We will be there around mid June.

Thanks all.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 0:07:03 #909874

The train ride up to Spiez and Thun is a lovely scenic ride. If you are not going that way again (eg going to Bern for example) and you have time then it’s worth doing.

SHAMOZA
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 April 2019 at 1:26:56 #909875

Thanks Rockoyster!

Look likely will do Interlaken – Thun (train), Then boat Thun – Interlaken – Brienz , And BR to Interlaken (train).Hope that sound practical and logic plus cost effective.. Holding Swiss Half Fare 1 month pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 3:07:19 #909876

Brienzer Rothorn is a trip up and down from Brienz so you have to return there to get the train back to Interlaken.

Make sure you check the timetables for boats and trains to ensure the most effective use of your day.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 April 2019 at 10:12:11 #909877

Hi Shamoza. It’s a long journey, but doable if you plan well. You can find links to the boat timetables under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/boatla kethun/gettingthere and myswissalps.com/boatla kebrienz/gettingthere. I’m not sure if you’ve already purchased your Swiss Half Fare Cards. If not, this retailer overview might be convenient: myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price.

• The thread ‘Morning trip to Jungfraujoch & afternoon Lake Thun’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.