Most scenic train route from Montreux to Zurich

• Neelam13p
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 June 2021 at 1:18:46 #825856

Hi All,

we will be traveling in December and we will have the Swiss pass. Most of our trip is planned but on the last day (NYE) we have to get to Zurich from Montreux. We wanted to reach Zurich late afternoon. What’s the most scenic route to get there? Is there a route where we can go via Zermatt and try out part of the Glacier Express journey or is that too crazy? I don’t want it to be an intense journey.

Thanks in advance Neelam 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    16 June 2021 at 16:35:15 #935210

Hi Neelam13p,

You are talking about two basic different directions going from Montreux to Zermatt, then to Zurich. It can be done, but its almost a whole day. Montreux to Zermatt alone is 2.5 hrs. Then To Zurich, another 4-5 hrs. (Approx). Just to stop by Zermatt really doesn’t do it any justice, other than maybe take some pics. Your best bet would be to take the Golden Pass to Lucerne. Its very beautiful and scenic. (Or local train going along the same route). And from Lucerne to Zurich is only about 45 min. You’re choice, obviously, but a lot less hectic, less stops, etc. Especially if you’re toting all your luggage around on the end of your trip. If you Do decide to go to Zermatt, don’t bother with the G-express. Just take the local train, as it will travel along the same route, and you wouldn’t need a reservation ( small additional fee). Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2021 at 18:28:35 #935211

Hi Neelam,

I do not think it would be a good idea to go through Zermatt especially if you cannot spend any time there. I would also recommend the same route as Danielsan wrote you: the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne via Zweisimmen and Interlaken (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere).

Here you can read about the differences between local trains and the Golden Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass (scroll down a bit).

I hope this helps,
    Ildiko

Neelam13p
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 June 2021 at 19:05:26 #935212

Thank you so much for your responses. Actually I am doing the golden pass route another day. But sounds like I should avoid Zermatt on the way to Zurich. Other than through Lucerne, any other route or short stop that you suggest on way to Zurich that will fall on the way from Montreaux. Also, I do have one extra day for a day trip from montreaux. I was planning going to Gruyures and Broc and then returning to Montreaux. I mean who does not like visiting cheese and chocolate factories 🙂 But do you think going to Zermatt will be more fun or any other suggestions for a fun day trip from Montreaux. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks Neelam

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    16 June 2021 at 20:40:51 #935213

Hi Neelam,

Going to Zermatt for a day trip is (strictly my opinion here…) not the most practical, considering how beautiful it is there. It is a 2.5 hr. ride from Montreux and can be done with an early start, but it is 5+ hrs. on the train. I believe it’s much less to go to Gruyeres and enjoy the cheese and chocolates. It’s just to bad you don’t have more time to spend in Zermatt. I’ve not been there in the winter, but it looks like a winter haven and a photo delight. Enjoy whichever you decide to do. Just keep in mind the travel time compared with the time spent. I hope this helps in any way. Have fun.

Danielsan

Annika
    7121 posts
    17 June 2021 at 7:15:47 #935214

Hi Neelam! Tips for day trips in the Montreux area can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva/activities. If you decide to travel to Zurich using the Golden Pass route, you may like a break to visit Glacier 3000: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacier3000.

An alternative, and equally scenic way to get from Montreux to Zurich, would be to travel via Brig, Goppenstein and Kandersteg. You’d use part of RegioExpress Lötschberger route: http://www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger. The journey would take 4 h 15 – 4 h 45 in total.

Neelam13p
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 June 2021 at 14:47:15 #935215

You guys are so awesome Danielsan and Annika. Thank you so very much for the responses. I think Zermatt is not doable in this trip. I think I am going to take the route Annika suggested Montreux to Zurich, via Brig, Goppenstein and Kandersteg. Annika ..as for the glacier 3000 trip do you think I can pack it in a day with the Gruyures trip if I am based in Montreux. I can start early. What you think ? Thanks neelam

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2021 at 19:27:39 #935216

I do not think it, Gruyeres (chocolate and cheese factory and Glacier 3000) is doable from Montreux in one day. It would mean around 6-7 hours traveling.(For the exact time you should check the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable).

You can reserve your tickets for Maison Cailler (chocolate museum), so you can spare some time there – sometimes waiting can be very long in the peak periods. But if you are in Gruyeres I recommend visiting the village too, it is a hidden gem.

Regarding Glacier 3000, be careful, the cablecars are until 4:00-4:30 pm. Which is quite early, although it will be already almost dark during the wintertime at 4:30 pm.

I think you should decide which one you like more – Gruyeres or Glacier3000. As it will be winter, do not forget to try a great cheese fondue! 😉

Ildiko

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    17 June 2021 at 19:55:19 #935217

Hi Neelam,

Once again you are talking*king about two different and opposite directions, one north, one south. The train to Aigle is a short one, maybe 10-15 min. Then however long of a wait for the train to LesDiablerets, which I believe was just under one hour, give or take. Then there is a wait for a bus to take to the tramway for Glacier 3000. It may be shorter going through Gstaad, I don’t know, as I went via Aigle. (Perhaps Ildiko or Anna/Annika may know better). So either way, you’re looking at a half day, minimum. And as Ildiko said, you’re days will be shorter. So if you do both, you most likely won’t have enough time to enjoy them. (Go for the chocolate and cheese 🙂 , yum!)

Danielsan

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 June 2021 at 5:28:14 #935218

Hi Neelam13p,

Gstaad to Col du Pillon (the stop for the Glacier 3000 cable car station) will take you about 30 minutes by bus. I agree with Ildiko and Danielsan, that combining Glacier 3000 and Gruyeres in one day in wintertime is not practical because of the short daylight time. Either way, I think both destinations have plenty of things to offer for a 1-day trip.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Most scenic train route from Montreux to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.