Most travel around Interlaken - rail pass & hikes?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tfisch
Tfisch
13 posts
Apr 26, 2018 - 8:05 PM

My wife and I arrive Geneva airport about 3 pm on June 1 and wish to take the golden pass to interlaken for 5 nights and visit the local towns, mountains tops, take a boat ride to visit towns along lake shore. Enjoy walking 5-10 miles per day but on mostly semi-level trails. It seems like an interlaken regional pass is best suited for us, and just pay full price from Geneva Airport to Montreaux to board the Golden pass which appears to be covered by the regional interlaken pass. I Would appreciate advice on the 1. pass options and

2. any trails that do not have too many rocky slopes near interlaken. Are there level trails around the lakes or maybe near the top of mountains that go between high mountain spots of interest before descending by gondola or train? thanks for advice. Tim

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Apr 26, 2018 - 10:41 PM in reply to Tfisch

Hi Tim-

This website has quite few resources to help you with number 2.

www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/4

Some of the experts might comment on #1.

My favorite trail meeting your exact definition is:

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Images attached.

Unfortunately, June 1 is still pretty much Winter...at least as far as the trails are concerned .. above about 1800 meters +/- a few hundred. That trail does not open until June 15th +/- in an average year, and this past Winter had heavy snow.

You could look first at trails offered in the Jungfrau Region link that I posted above, paying attention to the altitudes provided in the descriptions.

This link may help, as well:

www.myswissalps.com/hi king

There is a nice lakeside walk near Thun.. Walks on the floor of the Lauterbrunnen will be accessible.

If you wish to see walks on a topographic map that shows altitudes, this one will do it. A bit of overkill, perhaps, but the data are there:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 34644.49&N=1166913.93& zoom=5

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 26, 2018 - 11:33 PM in reply to Tfisch

Hi Tim,

>> It seems like an interlaken regional pass is best suited for us, and just pay full price from Geneva Airport to Montreaux to board the Golden pass which appears to be covered by the regional interlaken pass. I Would appreciate advice on the 1. pass options

There a quite a variety of different passes, but I have never heard of an Interlaken Regional Pass. Please tell us the official name of the pass you are considering so we can provide accurate information.

Alpenrose

Lucas
Lucas
9609 posts
expert &
Apr 27, 2018 - 2:14 AM in reply to Tfisch

Yes, The Interlaken regional pass is a mystery to me as well - unless you mean the local guest card?

I'd look at the Regional Pass - Bernese Oberland or the Jungfrau Travel Pass though - better coverage areas if you are doing a fair bit of travel each day. Either could work well for you - I'd lean to the RP - Bernese Oberland in your case I think.

The only way to know which rail pass is best for your specific itinerary is to do the math and compare prices for all your planned trips (and you need to plan each day). Have a look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Apr 27, 2018 - 6:43 AM in reply to Tfisch

Hi Tim-

I forgot to mention- If you use that detailed map that I linked you to in my first post, the trails are color coded, according to this scheme:

www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/.

And, to make the trails "pop" on the noted map, check the box named "Hiking Trails" in the menu. If you come from a place where British English is spoken, you may "tick" the box, instead. ;-)

Slowpoke

Last modified on Apr 27, 2018 - 6:46 AM by Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018