Mother daughter Switzerland trip in May – advice

• JasmineYSH
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:48:04 #815277

Hello, We are a pair of mother and daughter travelling to Switzerland in May. We are looking at enjoying the scenic views and culture, not going to do any skiing or adventurous hikes, basically just a very chill and relax kind of holiday. Here is the itinerary that we came up with. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated! Thank you in advanced!

Day 1- Zurich to Lucerne

Visit the cobbled streets, Lion Monument, Lake Lucerne, walk the Chapel Bridge.

Day 2 – Lucerne

Head to Mt. Titlis (spend about 3 hours). Stroll around Lake Lucerne after Titlis. Visit Musegg Wall and towers if time permits.

* Should we stay one more day to visit Mt. Pilatus?

Day 3-5 – Interlaken

We will do day trips to Jungfraujoch & Grindelwald. My mother has osteoporosis but would still like to do a simple hike in Grindelwald.

* Which route is easier? First to Lake Bachalpsee / Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg – jungfraujoch / First to Grosse Scheidegg?

*Will 2 nights be sufficient in Interlaken? Or should I base in Grindelwald instead?

*If weather is bad go to Bern instead?

Day – 6 Head to Zermatt.

Ride Matterhorn cog railway to Gornergrat to view Matterhorn. Explore the Old Village of Zermatt (Hinterdorf)

Day 7 – Glacier Express to St. Moritz

Day 8 – St. Moritz back to Zurich

Day 9 – Zurich

Day 10 – Zurich

Will this itinerary requires me to move my luggage from train to train a lot?

We do not wish to spend so many days in Zurich, we only require one day in Zurich to fly back home. Any suggestions on which base we should spend more time in?

Any recommendations on where to go in St. Moritz and Zermatt?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:18:03 #881997

Hello Jasmine and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Looks like a good plan.

If you want to reduce your Zurich time, on Day 8 you could consider taking Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) to Lugano and spending a night there and then on to Zurich.

From Lugano you could even take the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) to Lucerne and be back in Zurich by dinner time on Day 9.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 9:26:42 #881998

Hi JasmineYSH,

1. I don’t think the extra day for Pilatus is needed if you are also doing Titlis. Both mountains are quite nice and both are 50% with a Swiss Travel Pass. Choosing between them can be tricky. I’d pick whichever mountain looks more appealing to you (stuff to do at the top or method of transport to get there).
    2. Have you looked into choosing a rail pass for Switzerland?
    3. Those 3 hikes are all rated as “easy” but all around 5km too. We have detailed hiking information here as well:
      1. Hike First to Bachalpsee;
      2. hike Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg;
      3. hike First to Grosse Scheidegg.

Hiking can be limited at those altitudes in May though. You’ll need to check with the local tourist office when you arrive to see what may be doable.

4. I’d choose Grindelwald over Interlaken.
    5. Bern is always a nice idea for a city break / bad weather in the mountains.
    6. Here are suggestions for things to do in Zermatt& St. Moritz.
    7. Rockoyster has some good ideas if you are up for more scenic train trips. If not, visiting St. Gallen and the Appenzell region is a good idea as well (and on the way to Zurich).

Read about a day trip I took to the Appenzell here; and a day trip to St. Gallen here.

JasmineYSH
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 April 2018 at 10:25:55 #881999

Hello Rockoyster! Thank you for your kind reply.

That sounds like a great idea with more scenic views. Do you have any recommendations on where to visit in Lugano?

JasmineYSH
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 April 2018 at 10:48:20 #882000

Hi Lucas! Thank you so much for such an informative reply! The links that you’ve provided were amazing. In fact, i highly doubt that I can get my head together for this trip without myswissalps.

1. So even if I have extra time, I should just pick one of them? May I know which one is your personal favourite?
    2. I have yet to research in details regarding which Rail Pass to purchase. As of now I believe getting the Swiss Travel Pass is the best in terms of cost saving and ease in making reservations. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    3. The links are lovely! Do you happen to know of any reliable websites that I can check on the weather and trail conditions for the mountains/hike?
    4. Do you have any posts on Grindelwald like the ones you have for Appenzell and St. Gallen?
    5. I just discovered Blausee, will definitely add one more day to stay in Grindelwald and do a day trip to Bern!

Day trips to Appenzell and St. Gallen looks like a very good idea to spend some apre time in Zurich. Will definitely look into that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 18:20:58 #882001

Hi Jasmine,

1. No, if you have the time there is no reason not to do both. I’ve only been to Pilatus which was a very nice trip (always be sure the weather looks good before going up if you have to buy tickets).
    2. Possibly the best in cost savings…but it depends on your entire itinerary. Doing the math as I (see #2 above) is, unfortunately, the only way to know.
    3. The tourist office, when you are there is the best for current conditions. Mountains each have their own website, with webcams for the peaks.
    4. I don’t have any personal trip reports on Grindelwald no. We have our main page on the town here. Also, be sure to use the search box on the top right to find other threads/posts where our members have talked about their trip trips to Grindelwald; and read through the trip report forum for more help.

Cheers!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 20:33:24 #882002

Hello Jasmine,

If you just overnight in Lugano you won’t have much time to do much sightseeing. Although you could perhaps fit in a boat trip on the lake.

You might be interested in these trip reports http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part4 and http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-5.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 0:21:09 #882003

For Grindelwald just look up the town’s home page on the internet:

grindelwald.swiss/en/s ummer/#see-and-do

For me the Pilatus beats Titlis, as it’s a railway not a cable car (ie more stable!). The Pilatus railway is historic and uniquely steep, and has the oldest trains on any Swiss railway.

In Zermatt the Hinterdorf can be explored in about 10 minutes (its small!), but fascinating. I’ve stayed in ski apartments in Hinterdorfstrasse several times. It is bizarre to have sheep in a barn next door to a high tech ski room!

Also worth visiting the English church and the mountaineers’ cemetary

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 April 2018 at 0:52:26 #882004

Hi Jasmine –

No time for details at he moment,,but the advice for high altitude walks will not be suitable for May. Trails are blocked by snow.

ucas may wish to comment.

Slowpoke

JasmineYSH
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 April 2018 at 22:05:41 #882005

Thank you so so much for the information! Been away for a while and I got everything set up and ready to go! Can’t wait for the trip! 🙂

• The thread ‘Mother daughter Switzerland trip in May – advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.