Motorhome trip over Simplon Pass in late September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 6:21:08 #813243

Good morning,

We are travelling from Lake Orta to Interlaken in a few weeks in our motorhome, which is 8 metres long, 2.4 metres wide and 2.8 metres high. Is it safe to go via the Simplon Passor can you take a motorhome of our size on the road train.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Alan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 17:51:21 #869741

Hi Alan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The size limit is 2.5 meters wide and up to 3.3 meters (and still 2,5 meters wide) after that the width narrows – so you are fine.

You can read more about car trains (with links to Swiss railways for each car train for further details) here.
    Simplon Pass is Brig to Iselle.

As for the pass itself, you can check current conditions on the following website: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/ and decide when you are there if you want to drive it.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 16:13:26 #869742

Hi Lucas,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will check the conditions when we are at lake Orta. I have never travelled over roads that high before in our motorhome so my main concern was whether it would be too tricky or scarey to take on the two passes to Interlaken. Do you think I am being over cautious?

Regards

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 23:41:21 #869743

I’ve never driven a motorhome so I am no expert – I think you would be fine assuming there isn’t an early snowfall etc and the roads are clear.

I don’t believe your motorhome is on the “huge” side and should manage fine but I would go with your gut and do what you are comfortable with – the car train is there if you want it. 🙂

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 September 2017 at 14:12:28 #869744

Hi Alan,

Note that there’s only one pass on your way to Interlaken: the Simplon pass. The Lötschberg car train will take you across the next mountain range between Goppenstein and Kandersteg. There’s no road there. Theoretically you can take the much longer route via the Grimsel pass, but that pass is much higher.

The Simplon pass is relatively low. I agree with Lucas it’s probably not a problem. But do take a good look at the weather conditions. Some of the higher passes like Nufenen and Flüela are snow covered today, for example. You should definitely avoid that with a motorhome. You’ll find a map with all pass and road conditions here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 6:00:14 #869745

good morning Arno,

Thank you for the information. Excuse my ignorance but once over the Simplon Pass do I travel to Sion, Montreux and Bern to get to Interlaken? It seems a long way around?

Cheers

Alan

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 September 2017 at 7:02:56 #869746

Good morning Alan,

No, you either take the car train (recommended) or the Grimsel pass. See my previous post for details please. Via Bern would indeed be a long detour.

• The thread ‘Motorhome trip over Simplon Pass in late September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.