Mount Pilatus and Rigi in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2018 at 13:13:19 #818934

Dear Sir,

I chalked my program (subject to weather condition morning/evening may change) of mount Pillatus and Rigi in one day as under:

from Luzern bus no 1 to Kriens,Zentrim Pillatus by 8.07 am and from therein at 8.38 am Gandola lift 1 from Kreins and reaching to pilatus kulm by 9.19 am. The whole journe taking roughly 80 minutes and after a stay plan to catch 1.12 pm boat from Luzern to Vitznau and departing at 2.15 pm by train to Rigi Kulm.Staying at Rigi Kulm one hour and and from 4 pm departing train from rigi kulm to Rigi Kaltbad and further departing from Cable car at 4.40pm (rigi kaltbad, as since Nov 16 cable car shall start opearting) to Weggis arriving at 4.50 pm and i understand that from weggis cable car to boat terminal is 15 minutes walk and from therein Boat weggis to Lucern boat is available from 5.05 pm.

I know that its long journey hours but we given sufficient resting time at Pilatus by reaching there at 9.20 am , as rigi boat from Lucern plan to catch from 1.12 pm only.

My first question is whether such a journey at last week of Nov is doable? My second question relating to return journey from Rigi via rigi kaltbad and via weggis is that is there is a possible catch at weggis wherein cable car to boat walkable distance is 15 minutes and whether its easily be walked or some tough walking involved and how first timer visitor able to identify this route? Similarly n this return route from Rigi to Luzern,is there areany other possible catch which i missed out??

Your expert advice and further value addition chalking out my this program is highly be appreciable.

thanks and regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 November 2018 at 22:46:23 #899017

Hi Hansaria –

Sounds good. Nicely planned.

I did not recheck your exact trips and timing, but it is clear that you know the timetable, and everything that you say makes good sense. My one concern is that you are able to walk quickly to the ship landing at Weggis. The Swiss are fast walkers. It will help if you have left your luggage in Luzern. It will take 15 minutes and not much less, for sure, and the boat does not wait there for walkers. It will wait for the bus that comes along the lake shore. That is of no use to you.

The walk is downhill, on roads, none with heavy traffic. I do not recall if there are signs. I’d print a street map to use because there are a few corners and turns. Or, practice with your smartphone.

This map will work; but, use whatever one you like.

map.search.ch/?pos=676040,209537&z=51 2&poi=verkehr

if you miss the boat at 1705, you have some options. I do not remember your dates as mentioned in other threads, but I’ll use November 16 and 17 to test.

On those days, there is the next boat at 1805 on Saturday, or on Friday, the next boat at 1755 and at 1805. So, you can wait about an hour wait for them.

Or, you can save about 20 minutes, by taking Bus #2 from the ship station to Küsssnacht am Rigi, and picking up a train to Luzern Verkehrshaus, then another bus. Those timings and options vary by day of week and may have other changes that late in the year.

When you look at the map I have linked, you will see that there is a bus #9 ( from Weggis Luftseilbahn to Weggis Schifstation at a few times on weekdays. It is KB#9. (KinderBus); that is a bus to pick up and return schoolchildren who live on the mountain to school down below. It shows up in the regular SBBtimetable. I don’t know if it takes regular passengers. I’d ask the SBB or Weggis Tourist Office.

Otherwise, there is no bus service from Weggis Luftseilbahn to Weggis Schiffstation.

Another map shows me that the descent from Weggis LSB to Weggis Schiffstation is from about 480 meters to 435 meters and takes about 1 km of walking along the roads. 15 minutes shoud be enough time if you walk briskly.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=9&E=26 76200.83&N=1209751.85

So, to sum up, you should catch the boat OK, if you walk fast and don’t mis a turn. If you miss, there is another boat in an hour or so, and, there is a connection via bus, train, and bus through Küsnacht am Rigi.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 12:45:31 #899018

Thank You Slowpoke Sir, for your well researched reply and taking time and pain to thoroughly answered my question.As suggested i have taken Google Map print out from Weggis cable car to boat station and therein showing on foot 11 minutes distance,and expected to catch the boat ,but nevertheless, as per said google checking.Wegging was also looking good place to explore if in case we have to catch the next boat.

A big thank you to Slowpoke Sir again

thanks and regards

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 November 2018 at 13:20:15 #899019

You are welcome.

Sunset is at about 1653, so you should have good daylight.

Please note that the high speed Highway #2B cannot be crossed on foot, except at the overpass for Rigistrasse.

The cable car ride is very scenic. I ride every time that I stay at Rigi Kaltbad.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 13:35:31 #899020

Dear Sir,

”Another map shows me that the descent from Weggis LSB to Weggis Schiffstation is from about 480 meters to 435 meters and takes about 1 km of walking along the roads. 15 minutes shoud be enough time if you walk briskly.”

and accordingly, i have taken google map print out for on foot walking and planned accordingly. But thereafter your last communication sentence , i am little confused read as:

”Please note that the high speed Highway #2B cannot be crossed on foot, except at the overpass for Rigistrasse.”

Please elaborate further for my understanding .

thanks and regards

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 November 2018 at 14:15:17 #899021

If you spend some time with the maps, especially with the aerial view, you will see that the route from the Luftseilbahn ( cable car) parking lot to the Schiffstation descends the hill on the Rigistrasse. It crosses the highway #2, just a bit downhill from the lift station. That is the crossing that you must use.

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Weggis,+Switzerlan d/@47.0326488,8.440495 3,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4 m5!3m4!1s0x478ff88ff92 180d1:0x400ff884019087 0!8m2!3d47.0338792!4d8 .425278

This may give you the aerial view, if not, switch to it.

You cannot walk across the highway on its own pavement. It is not safe. There are no walkways.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 17:59:37 #899022

Yes Sir,,in fact as per SBB timetable, that 15 minutes timing if converted to google map, same crossing as y suggested been shown…thanks a lot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 November 2018 at 0:02:13 #899023

Dear All,

i was in some confusion, as I checked Mount Titlis weather report for today, and showing partly cloudy and sunny. What we always discussed here it’s a good day then to visit them. But on Monday ,it was showing snowfall and temperature at -11 degree and my daughter who loves snowfall, invited to go not Sunday but Monday due to snowfall..and I was wondering whether it’s a good idea to visit on Monday but not on Sunday…so I ne need some expert. Advice on this…so if anybody seeing this can guide me earliest possible be highly be appreciable..

thanks and regards

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 November 2018 at 10:46:14 #899024

Hi Hansaria,

This really depends on what you prefer. For good views today is much better. To have a chance of snow fall you would need to go on Monday. The views will then probably be (very) limited.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 1:18:03 #899025

Thank you Arno Sir, we visited Mount Titlis on Sunday with bright sun shine and great view…thank you very much again..

• The thread ‘Mount Pilatus and Rigi in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.