Mount Rigi route with cogwheel train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 11:56:05 #818434

Hello! It’s me again. 🙂

Planning to visit Mount Rigi on Nov 4. I would like to clarify if the Mt Rigi Railways Day Pass covers a repeated ride on the cogwheel train?

I am planning to do this route:

Lucerne > Vitznau – boat

Vitznau > Rigi Kaltbad – cable car

Rigi Kaltbad > Rigi Kulm – red cogwheel train

do the classic hike from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad

Rigi Kaltbad > Rigi Kulm – red cogwheel train (again)

Rigi Kulm > Arth Goldau – blue train

Arth Goldau > Lucerne

I want to try all the various rides, most especially the red cogwheel train, and there seems to be no opportunity to take the red train if I do my route from the opposite direction (up via Arth Goldau and down via Vitznau). Unless the cable car is not really worth it?

Also, given this route, do I still have time to go around Luzerne a bit after (or before) Rigi?

Thank you in advance for the help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 18:45:03 #896523

Hi smallfry,

The day pass won’t cover the boat to Vitznau (nor Arth-Goldau to Lucerne) but everything else looks good. http://www.rigi.ch/en/Kalende r/May-MT.-RIGI-RAILWAYS-DAY-TICKET

I would imagine a day pass allows for any combination/# of trips you like that day so it could be worth it for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 0:17:59 #896524

Vitznau – Rigi Kaltbad is not a cable car.

There is a cable car Weggis – Rigi Kaltbad, but it’s not worth the bother. Just use the VRB (red train Vitznau – Rigi) and the ARB (blue Train Arth Goldau – Rigi). The two lines meet at Kaltbad (cold bath…)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 5:24:52 #896525

Lucas – got it. thanks for validating! 🙂

1960man – taking note of this. 🙂 and thanks for the pronunciation guide! It was “Kolt-bad” in my mind lol.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 10:34:09 #896526

I think 1960man is referring to the translation of “Kaltbad” being cold bath in English rather than the pronunciation of the word.

• The thread ‘Mount Rigi route with cogwheel train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.