Mountain chalet in Furi or hotel in Zermatt town?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 13:13:49 #814786

I’ll be going to Zermatt in early Dec and want to do some skiing/snowboarding. I’m torn between choosing a cosy chalet in the mountains near Furi cable car or a hotel near Zermatt train station.

I’m not sure if the chalet is a convenient location but it looks so beautiful. Looking at the map, the ski area nearest to the chalet would be Matterhorn Glacier Paradise.

Staying near the train station is probably more convenient and the hotel is nearer to the Sunnegga ski area.

Any advice or thoughts on the 2 options? We have skiied before but still considered beginner level.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 3:10:48 #878877

Hi Bernie,

If you are not going to stay close to the station, you might want to investigate how close to a bus stop the chalet is. A nearby bus stop would give you the option of getting a bus if you didn’t feel like walking for some reason. You might also want to find out what options you have for getting to and from the chalet with your luggage on the days of arrival and departure.

There are little electric buses that travel along two routes in Zermatt – the Red Line and the Green Line. Bus stops are marked on Google Maps.

The website for the Zermatt e-bus is here (but only in German):

http://www.e-bus.ch/home.html

Some key words that might be useful:

• Grüne Linie – Green Line/mountain transport line
    • Rote Linie – Red Line/Winkelmatten line
    • nächste Abfahrtszeiten – next departure times
    • zum Gesamtfahrplan – to full timetable
    • Bahnhof – railway station
    • AN – arrival time
    • AB – departure time

The timetable for early December 2018 will not be available before mid-October at the earliest, but I would not expect it to be significantly different from the current one.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2018 at 11:38:47 #878878

Hi Bernielee68,

Furi is wonderful but indeed less central. You can reach the village quickly though, at least during opening hours of the gondola down to Zermatt. I’m not sure if it operates at night, but at least during the day it will be doable. It is extra time spend though. Tough call as both options are fine. You can’t go wrong I think, that’s the good news.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 11:03:50 #878879

Thanks to both who replied. It was a tough decision but i’ve decided to go for the one nearer to the train station. If it’s ok to mention hotel names I’ll update all with a review next time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 11:47:57 #878880

Hi Bernielee,

Yes of course you can. We always appreciate trip reports from our members – they are very helpful for other in the middle of trip planning. 🙂

• The thread ‘Mountain chalet in Furi or hotel in Zermatt town?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.