Mountain trips in Lucerne after Jungfrau/Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 21:25:51 #815237

We will be in Switzerland for 6 nights in June – 2 in Lucerne, 2 in Zermatt, 2 in Murren. I am VERY excited to experience the beautiful nature, mountains, hiking, etc. My question is… Since will will definitely be doing the Matterhorn, Jungfraujoch, and Schilthorn, should we also do Mt. Rigi or Pilatus while we are in Lucerne, or spend some of that time just enjoying the city (and possibly visiting Bern)? While I’m very excited to experience the Swiss Alps, I don’t want overkill to the point that we miss other thing Switzerland has to offer. Thanks in advance!

Kristie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 0:40:02 #881781

Hello ksmith and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Tolerance to mountain peaks and glorious views is a very personal thing. I wish I could be more definitive.

Lucerne is a lovely city.

A paddle steamer ride to Flüelen, with a trip up to Rigi on the way, and a train ride back to Lucerene would provide some nice variety. Rigi has great views but is more a (quite) large hill in comparison to Jungfraujoch and the others.

BTW you only get to see the Matterhorn in the distance – you don’t actually go up it.

Enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 19:53:53 #881782

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated. Sounds like a perfect day in Lucerne:)

• The thread ‘Mountain trips in Lucerne after Jungfrau/Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.