Jungfrau region mountain trips in late April 2018?

• boniolmz
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 March 2018 at 17:39:17 #814707

Dear friends at MySwissAlps.

Thank you for this wonderful forum. I would like to seek your help in my planning for this trip since i learn that during this season most of the services are closed.

Me and my wife are arriving in Zurich in the night of April 24 coming from Lugano-Tirano-Chur Bernina Express and onwards by train from Chur to Zurich. We will be based here until the 28th.

My original plan from Zurich was to travel to Interlaken and then to Lauterbrunnen and Mürren then hike to Gimmelwald then back and onwards to Schilthorn, but i guess this is not possible during this time of year according to the forums I’ve read.

Now my other plan is to go the Jungfrau region. Can you kindly suggest an alternative plan? I have already booked our hotel in Zurich. I appreciate your response.

MarioB

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 19:51:35 #878406

Hi MarioB and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Well hiking will be limited in April yes. But You can still visit Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Gimmelwald if you want to. And instead of Schilthorn how about Jungfraujoch?

Those towns and mountains are in the Jungfrau Region already. You can read about our list of suggested activities for the Jungfrau Region here & if you haven’t seen it read this post about cable car closures in the area here.

Be sure to check the train schedules on the Swiss railways timetable. It is a long trip from Zurich to the Jungfrau region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 0:07:16 #878407

>> Me and my wife are arriving in Zurich in the night of April 24 … We will be based here until the 28th. My original plan from Zurich was to travel to Interlaken and then to Lauterbrunnen and Mürren then hike to Gimmelwald then back and onwards to Schilthorn, but i guess this is not possible during this time of year according to the forums I’ve read.

The cable car to the Schilthorn is closed from 23-27 April, but if you can go there on 28 April, it will be operating again. There’s no telling what the weather will be like on that one day though – you would have to wait and see.

>> I have already booked our hotel in Zurich.

Zürich is not a good base from which to do your planned excursions. You will lose 6 hours of your day travelling back and forth between e.g. Zürich and Mürren. If you could cancel your Zürich hotel and book one in Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen instead, you could spend more of your time exploring the area rather than sitting on trains.

Alpenrose

boniolmz
    Participant
    3 posts
    11 March 2018 at 3:52:02 #878408

Thank you Lucas. Sure we’ll be going to Lauterbrunnen but skip Gimmelwald. Then plan for the Jungfraujoch trip instead. Hoping for a good weather then. Regards.

MarioB

boniolmz
    Participant
    3 posts
    11 March 2018 at 4:05:02 #878409

Alpenrose I wish we can stay for another day (28th) to be in Schilthorn but i don’t want to miss our flight from Zurich. I guess we’ll have to change our planned base to Lauterbrunnen to see more of the area. Thank you for your insight. Best regards.

MarioB

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region mountain trips in late April 2018?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.