Buying tickets with Swiss Half Fare Card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Anabel
Anabel
3 posts
Jan 18, 2018 - 5:14 PM

Hello, I'm from Malta. we will travel to Switzerland soon. I will buy 2 half fare cards and will have a Swiss travel system family card. However when you add adult on website to book train which card I need to add is it Halbtax and for my 8 year old son which card I have to add. Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
4644 posts
expert
Jan 18, 2018 - 7:35 PM in reply to Anabel

Hello Anabel and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are using the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to buy tickets you should see half-fare reduction (or Halbtax in German). Timetable prices tend to assume you have a Half-fare Card (domestic equivalent of Swiss Half-fare Card).

Your child does not need a ticket if you have a Swiss Family Card.

Anabel
Anabel
3 posts
Jan 20, 2018 - 6:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I will purchase 2 half fare cards for us parents and with that I will have a family card. Can I ask if to go to Zermatt Materhorn paradise cable car with the family card my son will have 50% discount or free charge.With the fare card I know that I will have 50%discount.

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
Jan 20, 2018 - 8:40 AM in reply to Anabel

Your son (between 6 and 15) will travel free wherever you go in Switzerland with the Swiss Family Card. :)

Anabel
Anabel
3 posts
Jan 20, 2018 - 8:50 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas.

So if I understood well, even to go up to mountain with cable car on Materhorn paradise he will be free of charge with the family card. As one of the websites I saw that there will be a small charge for him even though we will have family card. That's why I got confused.

Thanks again

Anabel

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
Jan 20, 2018 - 9:52 AM in reply to Anabel

Hi Anabel,

What website did you see that note at?

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019