Buying tickets with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 17:14:30 #814079

Hello, I’m from Malta. we will travel to Switzerland soon. I will buy 2 half fare cards and will have a Swiss travel system family card. However when you add adult on website to book train which card I need to add is it Halbtax and for my 8 year old son which card I have to add. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 January 2018 at 19:35:38 #874607

Hello Anabel and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to buy tickets you should see half-fare reduction (or Halbtax in German). Timetable prices tend to assume you have a Half-fare Card (domestic equivalent of Swiss Half-fare Card).

Your child does not need a ticket if you have a Swiss Family Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 6:54:28 #874608

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I will purchase 2 half fare cards for us parents and with that I will have a family card. Can I ask if to go to Zermatt Materhorn paradise cable car with the family card my son will have 50% discount or free charge.With the fare card I know that I will have 50%discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:40:32 #874609

Your son (between 6 and 15) will travel free wherever you go in Switzerland with the Swiss Family Card. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:50:35 #874610

Thanks Lucas.

So if I understood well, even to go up to mountain with cable car on Materhorn paradise he will be free of charge with the family card. As one of the websites I saw that there will be a small charge for him even though we will have family card. That’s why I got confused.

Thanks again

Anabel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 9:52:02 #874611

Hi Anabel,

What website did you see that note at?

• The thread ‘Buying tickets with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.