Mt. Pilatus with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 11:13:45 #811693

Hi there,

We are visiting Switzerland in June – 6 adults and 4 children (ages 7, 3.5, 2.5, and 1.5). We have bought our Swiss travel pass for 15 days. I am looking for some guidance on how we should use the pass discounts/free public transport for scenic tours, etc.. Specifically for the Golden trip to Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne – in some places it says boat, bus, train is included in the Swiss travel pass… but in some it says there is a certain price. I understand for the cable cars there is a 50% discount.

Also, can we just walk up to the station/lake etc… and get on-board without advance reservations? Since we are traveling with little ones, we want to make sure we are prepared and make advance bookings as much as possible. But at the same time, I don’t want to miss out on all the free trips we can avail, as we have paid a pretty hefty amount to for the 15 day Swiss travel pass.

Looking forward to receiving your inputs. Thank you in advance!!!

Shikha Bharucha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 17:56:38 #862847

Hi Shikha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It might be the most helpful for you to read about the Swiss Travel Pass area's of validity here. There is a list of top attractions and it is noted if it is free or only partially discounted. There is also a map for all of Switzerland and what routes you can use the STP on.

You do not need to make any reservations or pre-book for trains in Switzerland except for a few panoramic trains listed here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 5:08:08 #862848

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your guidance. Appreciate your inputs. I’ll look up the links you shared.

Regards,

Shikha

• The thread ‘Mt. Pilatus with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.