Mt Pilatus - Lütoldsmatt or Ämsigen trail to top?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Toodaliu
Toodaliu
21 posts
Jul 1, 2019 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

I noticed there was limited info on Mt Pilatus hikes posted within MySwissAlps, or perhaps I"m missing something?

We are planning on visiting Mt Pilatus and wanted to avoid the touristy option of doing the Golden/Silver Round Trip. Rather, we have read a bit on two main trails from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm:

1. Alpnachstad - Lütoldsmatt - Pilatus Kulm: www.bergwelten.com/t/w /25259?utm_source=embed
  2. Alpnachstad - Ämsigen - Pilatus Kulm: www.bergwelten.com/t/w /25261?utm_source=embed

Wondering for folks that have made either or both of these hikes - whether one is preferred to the other? Does one have a more pleasant view? I'm assuming both have great views and from my understanding, I believe option 2 (via Amsigen) is a bit more steep (from looking at topographic maps).

While much of our itinerary in Switzerland will be very weather dependent, we are hoping to do Mt Rigi the day before - sticking to some light hiking. We haven't decided yet, but we'll likely do the Classic Trail & Panorama Trail, depending on how we feel or in preparation of our hike at Mt Pilatus

• Classic Trail – 1 hour (4 km): Rigi Kulm – Staffel – Staffelhöhe – Känzeli – Rigi Kaltbad
  • Panorama Trail – 2 hours (7.2 km): Rigi Kaltbad – First – Unterstetten – Hinder Dossen – Rigi Scheidegg

More of an FYI - following our time in Lucerne and our day hikes at Mt Rigi and Mt Pilatus, we are heading to the Jungfrau region where we will be doing a balance of light hikes (Mannlichen - Kleine Scheidegg) and harder day-long hikes like Schynige Platte - First.

Hope folks can help ! Or if folks have a different day activity, please let me know!

pvonk
pvonk
185 posts
Jul 1, 2019 - 1:39 PM

The one thing you haven’t told is is when you’ll be in Switzerland. Time of year may be an important factor in planning mountain hikes.

Toodaliu
Toodaliu
21 posts
Jul 1, 2019 - 2:10 PM in reply to pvonk

I will be in Switzerland at the end of August (specifically, the last week of August). Apologies for not mentioning that in my initial post !

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2019 - 11:18 PM in reply to Toodaliu

Either trail on the Rigi is nice. I prefer the one that goes via Chänzeli for the lake views.

Going up Pilatus is really tough.

I recall that you are not experienced at high altitude. There are very limited bail-outs on the route near the cograil. If you ride the cableway from Kriens, you can walk some and ride some.

The best part of Pilatus is the view from the top. The second best part is the cograil ride.

Another option would be to ride up go up for the view, if possible on the cograil but it gets very busy in tourist season, and do a scenic hike at lower level along the Swiss Path to stretch your legs, as I recall mentioning in your other thread. Since my recall is notably imperfect, I'll repeat this link to give you some ideas:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Also:

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/eta ppe-01448.html

That link lets you checkout one section, and points you to the others. Each of those pages has a wealth of information if you follow links for "more." Altitude profiles are there.

It is far from level.

Slowpoke

Toodaliu
Toodaliu
21 posts
Jul 2, 2019 - 2:45 AM

Thanks for the resources, Slowpoke, and the guidance (and warnings) - always appreciated !!

My post was largely to see if anyone has attempted either hikes and had general feedback (since I didn't see any past threads surrounding these trails). While we don't have a ton of experience in high altitudes, we have hiked in higher altitudes (we've done some day hikes in Colorado, so while our main experience has been NH and VT, we've experienced higher altitudes.) Therefore, I truly do understand your concern when it comes to hikes at higher elevations.

Just wanted to see if folks have attempted the hike and their thoughts (our research has found limited insight and many have taken the cog wheel to Ämsigen then hike up to Pilatus Kulm (in about 2 h)). We also understand if we were to attempt either of these, we are fine with turning back if we cannot ascend/finish the hike.

Our back-up option was to always to do the Silver Round Trip (1/2 day) to Mt PIlatus (and at the top, walk to Oberhaupt, Esel, or Tomlishorn viewing points) and find another activity for the rest of the day. What caught my eye from the link you provided for the Swiss Path was:

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bauen-seelisberg

I'm assuming this would be do-able as a 1/2 day hike following our trip to Mt Pilatus?

Last modified on Jul 2, 2019 - 2:48 AM by Toodaliu
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jul 2, 2019 - 8:30 AM in reply to Toodaliu

<<"I'm assuming this would be do-able as a 1/2 day hike following our trip to Mt Pilatus?">>

Yes.

But, timing will be critical and might limit the possibilities.

You'd need to confirm timing from wherever you come off Pilatus. Then, you have to catch transport to your chosen railhead. An option could be to get to Stans and take the bus #311 from Stans to Seelisberg, then start the walk there. If you start at Bauen and go up. you have to get to Bauen. That would most involve a lakeboat from Flüelen or Brunnen. so you'd have to get across the lake somewhere. My sense is that a boat all the way from Luzern would take too long. So, there would be some complexity with the access to or from o Bauen in a timely fashion - either starting therer or finishing there.

I have always done that in the direction from Seelisberg.

The hiking options that I describe in my thread are related; many people want to include Rütli because of all the important Swiss history associated with that small meadow. It is where the Confederation was founded by the four forest canons:

The hike as described in the link you noted is straightforward. The only moderately strenuous part is the 400 meter climb on a very good path from Bauen up to the plateau.

However, the lake views are better rounding the promontory from Rütli to Volligen, on the hike that I describe. In the stretch between Bauen and not far from Seeliberg, the lake views are limited, except where the Wanderweg approaches the clif edge at Marienhöhe.

The lakeboat ride to/from Treib or Rütli is quite nice, and the views from the Treib-Selisberg funicular (up or down) are very nice.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.im ages-swissimage-dop10.metadata,ch.swis stopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 87493.17&N=1202045.96& zoom=8

Whichever trails in the area you choose, remember the limited lake boat service from Bauen or Treib (at the base of the funicular from Seelisberg) late in the day. The late day option is the bus from Seelisberg via Emmeten to Beckenried and onward to Stans or Hergiswil. The last bus is at 2317.

The last boat from Treib to Brunnen is at 1834 ( via funicular from Seelisberg at 1820). The last boat from Bauen ( to Flüelen) is at 1744.

Slowpoke

Toodaliu
Toodaliu
21 posts
Jul 2, 2019 - 1:27 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks Slowpoke.

Given the time constraint, would you therefore suggest skipping Mt Pilatus? I'm assuming you've been countless times, and wanted to know what you typically suggest to folks who visit Lucerne. I've heard it's become quite commercialized/touristy, so I'm wondering if we should skip it. I know for most folks, they choose to do either Mt Rigi or Mt Pilatus during their time in Lucerne. However, I was given the impression that each is different and worth visiting.

From the info you've provided...I'm worried we won't have enough time to do Mt Pilatus and a like hike elsewhere. My husband and I wanted to also go on the toboggan which I believe will takes up some time. Originally, we were planning on a full-day at Mt Pilatus, especially if we were going to proceed with one of the hikes I originally posted.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jul 2, 2019 - 4:23 PM in reply to Toodaliu

You can't do it all.

The scenery is impressive even with alot of tourists.

My only thought was t provide hiking options that could be done if you don't climb to Pilatus Kulm.

It is one thing to say it is very difficult; it is another to offer alternatives.

If you spend only half a day on the Pilatus part, the hike discussed is do-able.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019