Mt Pilatus, parking at Alpnachstad

• Kj123
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 May 2022 at 2:01:45 #827284

Hi, hoping to go up Mt Pilatus on Thurs 26th May. Looking for info as to where to park in Alpnachstad (and sat nav postcode to get there) and an approx idea of cost ? Can i buy tickets on the day? Want to ascend & descend by the cogwheel railway (cant do round trip as car will be in Alpnachstad?) how much would this cost for a return trip, and will it be worth us buying the half fare card ? Leaving it til last min as i am not sure what the weather will be like on Thursday at Pilatus midday onwards …any help / advice much appreciated…

(by the way we land in Zurich that morning and will make our way from airport. If weather forecast is poor, we will miss this out & just go to Lucerne where we are staying overnight)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 May 2022 at 8:58:25 #942256

Hi Kj123,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

There’s parking available near the Alpnachstad station (CHF5 per day). The address is : Brünigstrasse 2, 6053 Alpnachstad.

You can buy tickets for the cogwheel train directly from the ticket counter. A full fare return trip cost CHF72 for adults, CHF36 (children 6 – 15, under 6 free). Please see https://www.myswissalps.com/pilatus/tickets.

If you are planning to do a lot of mountain excursions, I recommend getting the Swiss Half Fare Card so you will only pay half-price for the return tickets, and children travel along free with the complimentary Swiss Family Card. More details about the Swiss Half Fare Card here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard

Regards,

Anna

Kj123
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 May 2022 at 9:27:52 #942257

Thankyou so much for your prompt & helpful reply!

I have just been advised that the cogwheel train at Alpnachstad may be busy/ as its tghe first day it re-opens? In this case, would u advise we change our plan to Mt Rigi instead? Again, we would drive to either Vitznau or Goldau to do this – which is better (for views & also timings?) plus could you kindly send the parking address for each of those so we can put it into our sat nav ?! Thankyou kj

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 May 2022 at 14:22:27 #942258

Hi Kj,

The drive to Vitznau takes you around the lake so I recommend taking the cogwheel train from Vitznau. You can find the link to the parking details here.

Arth-Goldau has more parking space. The nearest address is : Chräbelstrasse 12, 6410 Arth (just follow the signs for Rigi Bahn)

Details about the options to access Rigi are here: https://www.myswissalps.com/rigi/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Mt Pilatus, parking at Alpnachstad’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.