Rigi Scheidegg to Rigi Kaltbad and Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 10:53:43 #818393

I have taken notes about a Mt Rigi trip but I am not sure I can get from Rigi Scheidegg to Rigi Kaltbad. Or do I have to go back to Rigi Kulm first?

“Lake Lucerne Boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Change to cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm. Then railway to Rigi Scheidegg (cheese factory near by). Then take cogwheel train down to Rigi Kaltbad & change to cable car down to Weggis. 15 min walk to boat to Lucerne.”

I thought the lake would be more scenic than the Arth-Goldau alternative? Is Rigi Scheidegg worth the effort?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 18:17:28 #896365

Hi paddington,

You can go from Rigi Scheidegg to Rigi Kaltbad if you want to. You can use the timetable to find the exact details of how to do it. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I suppose it depends on how much you want to go to the cheese factory you mention in the end and how much time you have that day to spend. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to take the boat in both directions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 21:49:36 #896366

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your advice. I guess it is going to be weather dependent too.

I will have a swiss pass so I don’t have to book any of these cograilways or the lucerne boat do I? Now that I have the info for the alternatives it would be best, I guess, to decide on the day.

I am afraid to say that the timetable is beyond me. There are 10 alternatives for Interlaken. There are numerous alternatives for Rigi and two alternatives for Rigi Kaltbad. I know Scheidegg means watershed in English and bach is creek. But I have found no definition/translation for klum or kaltbad. I have to come here and ask which station I want for the panoramic trains that have to be booked but can’t ask you to give me the right station for every trip.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 September 2018 at 5:46:17 #896367

Hi Paddington,

Rigi Scheidegg to Rigi Kaltbad is either a 2 hour panoramic walk, or you can take the cable car down and the train back up to get there. For the second option you can enter the location names in the timetable like Lucas suggested.

If you’re confused by the location names, then zoom in on the map at http://www.myswissalps.com/ma pswitzerland to see all bus and train stops.

There is nothing to book if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 6:45:46 #896368

Excellent map thank you Arno.

I had seen that map before but hadn’t realised the importance of it for finding station names for the timetable before! Sorry.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 September 2018 at 7:04:31 #896369

No problem at all. We’ll also add the cable car stations to that map soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 7:04:32 #896370

Hi Paddington,

I think the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) looks more daunting that it is. When searching for a train from Interlaken to say Rigi it will give you a list of departure times. You just pick the time that works best for you. The list of 10 options (or more) aren’t usually very different – just the most direct route at any given departure time. Was the the confusion?

When I travel I search the 2 destinations at the time I want to leave and adjust my schedule a little for the train with the fewest connections usually.

IE I want to leaveInterlaken for Geneva tomorrow at 13:30 I see that there is a 13:29 train, requiring 2 changes along the way (Spiez and Bern) and takes 2 hours and 49 minutes. Or at 14:00 a train with just 1 train change at Bern that takes 3 hours. I’ll take the 14:00 train if it works with my schedule that day.

As you can see for that schedule those are the only 2 options all day: 2 changes at 2 hours 49 minutes or 2 changes and 3 hours long…leaving at xx:29 (or xx:30) and xx:00

It takes a little while to see the trees through the forest on the timetable though. It can be an overwhelming amount of options at first!

I hope that helped and didn’t make you any more confused! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 11:26:00 #896371

Thanks Lucas.

The things that make the timetables daunting are:

1) I don’t know the name of the station I am leaving from and going to (sorted with Arno’s link)

2) I don’t know which direction I am going in – sometimes this is not clear eg: Zermatt to Wengen. (Your post above helps. I need to click on them and look at the changes and travel time)

3) I don’t understand the differences between the symbols EC, IC etc. (I don’t think this really matters. I can identify GEX and BEX.)

4) I need to get my double screen working and sit down and study the station map, the STP map and timetables together.

This forum has been a great help. I was originally thinking of getting someone to book the trains for me but I am confident now that I can do it myself, with your help. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 11:38:15 #896372

No worries!

Train direction doesn’t matter really. It just means the final stop of the train.
    and you may be getting off before the final stop.

It just helps me (and people) identify the right train at the station when boarding. IE I need to find the train to Brig (even if I’m not going all the way to Brig) on track 12, departing at 13:30 and the train will say Brig on the front and sides of the train – so yes that is my train and I hop on.

Sometimes at busy stations, trains come right before departure. tourists may get on a train without looking at the destination city on the train at 13:15 (thinking it is their 1330 train) and then it pulls out at 13:20 and a few minutes later the 13:30 train pulls in!

Here is a list of train symbols (most everything you need is on our site somewhere!) 🙂 http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/traintyp es

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Rigi Scheidegg to Rigi Kaltbad and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.