Is Mt. Rigi hiking possible in early May?

• RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    17 January 2019 at 9:19:19 #819516

Hello,

First of all, thank you for this excellent site and forums. I get a lot of information here while planning my trip to Switzerland with my ten years old son, early May.

Our interest is hiking with scenic views.

We are looking for easy hiking in Lucerne area, especially in mt. Rigi, up to two hours, with clear routes.

Are there recommended routes which supposed to be open in early May?

Are the routes to/from Rigi kulm expected to be covered by snow?

I’ve searched here http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking/Hi king-trails-on-Mount-Rigi but there’s no mention for these routes’s state in spring.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 January 2019 at 9:40:12 #902293

Hi RoseK,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! All of Mount Rigi should normally be accessible early May. That’s not an absolute guarantee as a cold spring can always cause things to be different than usual. But even then the lower areas would not be a problem.

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    17 January 2019 at 17:45:18 #902294

Hi Arno,

Thank you for you answer.

Is this answer relevant for other trails at similar altitudes in this area, and in this season?

For example, the route from Engelberg to Trüebsee, or the route from Pilatus Kulm to Tomlishorn?

Thank you again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 January 2019 at 18:00:11 #902295

Hi RoseK,

In general that’s accurate, yes. But the side of a mountain also matters. North facing slopes in the shade have snow on them much longer. Pilatus Kulm is higher than Rigi, and steeper. A patch of snow here and there on the Rigi would often not be a problem, but at the Pilatus that’s best to be avoided.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 0:41:49 #902296

No.

Rigi is open to the sun and relatively low altitude. It’s quite possible that the snow will be long gone and the temperature warm by early May. And even if the top is chilly there are many walks around the lower parts of the hill.

Trubsee is more ‘enclosed’ in the mountains so may be chillier. Pilatus is a steep craggy mountain – not suitable for ‘amble’ type hiking

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2019 at 1:17:08 #902297

<<“or the route from Pilatus Kulm to Tomlishorn?”>>

Not for a 10-year old, for sure.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=9&E=26 61264.20&N=1203163.22

Where would you go after that walk?

Slowpoke

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    18 January 2019 at 13:37:20 #902298

Thank you Arno, 1960man and Slowpoke, for the usefull advices.

So Mt. Rigi will be our main destination. The top area if possible, otherwise – lower trails.

Maybe we’ll go there more then once, from different directions.

I’ve thought about going from Pilatus Kulm to Tomlishorn and back, to see the view from more directions, but of course not, if it is too difficult for this season and age.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 January 2019 at 0:16:24 #902299

Hi Rose-

Check the map that I linked, and male your own judgements. It is a ridgewalk as you can see.

Slowpoke.

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 January 2019 at 9:23:56 #902300

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, I see.

Thank you for the map. It helps me understand the trails I’m reading about, and the connections between them.

I will focus on the yellow routes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2019 at 10:06:10 #902301

<<“I will focus on the yellow routes.”>>

High RoseK –

Good idea. I forgot to include this link, but, you seem to have figured it out:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Actually, the trail from Pilatus to Tomlishorn does not have much elevation change. What concerns me is the very steep slope beside the trail. It could be deadly if you slip off the trail. Many ridge walks are that way.

According to Swiss information, the yellow trails are suitable for ordinary shoes, while the red trails require sturdy hiking shoes, or, better, boots for ankle support, and, a hiking staff. That is a bit optimistic for some yellow trails, which may have a loose gravel surface.

Red or Yellow trails can both can be either steep or level, but red trails will often have an irregular surface. It is easy to turn your ankle, or slip on a rock. The most commonly used trails on the Rigi tend to be mostly good quality. The mountain is “gentler.”

My favorite easy walk, with spectacular scenery, is the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, near the Jungfrau.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 39358.79&N=1162283.85

It is so easy that it has the nickname “The Grannies’ Walk.” Although it does not have much elevation change, it is definitely uphill if you start from Kleine Scheidegg. Of course, you will see Swiss Grannies, with their boots on, zipping along up that trail, faster than I walk in the downhill direction. ;-).

I took my 8 year old granddaughter and my daughter on the walk in late September, 2009. Images attached. A few are from the side trail that goes up to the peak “der Gipfel.” Even that very good trail has a lot of gravel surfaces, and it is easy to slip on the few short, steep stretches, especially going down hill. So, even on that yellow trail, good boots and a staff are useful.

Slowpoke

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 January 2019 at 13:13:13 #902302

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for your explanation about the differences between the trails. I understand that even from the yellow trails, I should prefer those described as “very easy”.

Your photos are amazing. Really scenic views.

Actually, I think to do a one day trip from lucernce to Jungfrau region. As I understand, your favorite trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg won’t suit our season.

I saw in the forums here recommendations on the trail from Grütschalp to Mürren. Is this trail easy and suitable for 10 years old boy?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2019 at 14:18:13 #902303

Hi RoseK –

<<“Actually, I think to do a one day trip from lucernce to Jungfrau region. As I understand, your favorite trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg won’t suit our season.”>>

You are right. I forgot that you’d be there too early for that trail. It has been open earlier than normal in some recent years, but they got a lot of snow in the past few weeks, so it is almost certainly not going to be available. And, the cableways up to Männlichen are not going to be running.

<<“I saw in the forums here recommendations on the trail from Grütschalp to Mürren. Is this trail easy and suitable for 10 years old boy?”>>

Yes – and that is the best direction to walk , even though moderately uphill, because you face the high mountains…great views. I should be open in early May at that altitude.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

Something that you might want to consider if the trail is icy (unlikely) would be to parallel the route, but on the valley floor:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

It is almost sure to be open in May. And, if I call correctly, some of of it is on a small secondary road that will be open.

Best to walk toward Stechelberg, but you still will see the waterfalls going in either direction.

Either way, it would be fun to go up from Stechelberg or Mürren to Schilthorn.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

The cableways to Schilthorn are closed in late April, but will be open in May . It would be even more fun to go up and have lunch, but it will be quite late if you do that. It could work if you don’t take the walk, but getting on the trail is a good idea.

Slowpoke

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 January 2019 at 11:49:11 #902304

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for the usefull information.

Theoretically, according to the timetables we can do both – the hiking and going up to Schilthorn. So if we are early, we’ll try.

When I’ll be in Switzerland, how could I get the information about the current situation of the trails on Mt. Rigi, and the trail from Grütschalp to Mürren? Does this information exist on the internet? Or by web cameras? Or in the tourist information in Luzern / Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2019 at 15:32:53 #902305

Hi RoseK –

<<“When I’ll be in Switzerland, how could I get the information about the current situation of the trails on Mt. Rigi, and the trail from Grütschalp to Mürren?”>>

The local tourist info office is always up to date on that. That would be my first choice.

I don’t know about Lauterbrunnen, but, at Wengen, right by the train station, there is a large sign board with trail status (or, in ski season, piste status).

Hotels, too, if you weer staying in the area.

If you want to take a few minutes before you leave Luzern…may not fit your schedule…the tourist info office in the main station actually could give you guidance. They are really very good, and would know the exact resources to check.

There are webcams:

en.swisswebcams.ch/kat egorien

Slowpoke

RoseK
    Participant
    18 posts
    26 January 2019 at 18:40:44 #902306

Thank you Slowpoke and all the contributors.

You give me in this site and forums a lot of usefull information, and answers to many questions, I shouldn’t even ask.

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Is Mt. Rigi hiking possible in early May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.