Mt. Titlis if also visiting Jungfraujoch?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:03:25 #815203

Hi, we are travelling ZURICH, LECERNE AND GRINDELWALD ( 20,21 -ZURICH, 22ND LUCENRE AND 23,24,25 GRINDELWAD). We will have excursion of Jungfrough on 25th May.

My question is : If we are doing Jungfrough from Grindelwald – Should we plan for Mt Titlis also once we are at Lucerne.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:10:11 #881479

Hello ravibatra and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

It is certainly a lot easier to visit Titlis from Lucerne than Grindelwald.

Whether you want to cover both mountains, which are quite different experience, is up to you and your budget and time available.

Let the weather will dictate which is the best day to visit Jungfraujoch. It is not much fun if it is covered in cloud.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:15:41 #881480

Thanks and appreciated. We are 4 family members from India. I raised previous question due to 2 reasons- Can i enjoy full day in Lucerne or Club with Mt titlis ( cost is there but wife does not enjoy SNOW area ) and most important we will be going to Jungfrough from Grindelwald so your experience could make my journey more enjoyable

My itniery is as follows:

20th Night- Zurich

21st full day- Zurich

22nd – Lecerne

23rd- Grindelwadl

24th gRINDELWAD/INTERLAKEN

25TH – JUNGRFRAUGH

26TH RETURN -MORNING

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:30:26 #881481

Hello Ravi,

The Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) will tell you a trip to Titlis from Lucerne and back will take you 3 hours not including time up top. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV.

So it is a full morning or afternoon excursion.

Your wife might prefer a trip to Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi/gettingthere) which should be snowless by then.

Apart from that there are a number of things to do in and around Lucerne listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    8 April 2018 at 7:40:11 #881482

Jungfrau is expensive but the experience of a lifetime.

It’s very popular with visitors from India and there is a separate Indian restaurant at the top of the mountain. It was doing a booming trade the day I was there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 7:44:42 #881483

I think if your wife isn’t keen on snow, and you do go up to Jungfraujoch, then I would also look at Rigi instead of Titlis. Rigi is also free with the Swiss Travel Pass – if you are planning on buying one?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 11:57:22 #881484

Thanks. Sure will explore Rigi too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 7:55:05 #881485

I have 2 more questions:

1. Should we buy travel passes and Jungfrough excursion in advance from swiss tours office in Delhi India to save transaction charges on credit card

2. In Lucerne- do they charge for boat ride in lucerne and train ride to Mr Rigi if we have Travel passes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 11:56:22 #881486

Hi ravibatra,

1. I don’t know what your credit card charges are, I do know that they can be ridiculously high for some countries, but I wouldn’t buy them in advance. The weather might be bad and then you’re wasting your money anyway.
    2. They are both free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Visit this page to see what’s included in the pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 11:58:18 #881487

THANKS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:14:50 #881488

Need assistance to resolve this concern:

1. I have 1 day to spend either at Lucerne ( 1 hr from zurich) or Bern ( 1.30 Hr from Zurich) – Pl suggest which one should be preferred ( we will up/down from Zurich)

2. If Lucerne is preferred then Mt Rigi or Mt Pilatus – which one should be chosen apart from having Cruise ride.

3. Does Saphir Panoramic Cruise with swiss pass @ CHF 17 – worth spending

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 17:09:46 #881489
    1. Both towns are great. Lucerne is a bit more picturesque…being on the lake and nearby mountains. Bern is on river and is (to me) a bit more historic.
    2. Both are have different views and activities – Pilatus is higher and Rigi has more hikes and things to do for the most part.
    3. I’d take a cruise that is offered free on the Swiss Travel Pass – can’t be too much different I think – but I’ve never taken a private cruise before. 🙂
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 7:52:57 #881490

>> Does Saphir Panoramic Cruise with swiss pass @ CHF 17 – worth spending

That comes down to personal preference and available time really.

I have read their brochure, and it seems to me that this experience is more about experiencing the boat itself – a classy motor yacht, with bar. There is less focus on experiencing a substantial stretch of the lake as a scenic destination, because the cruise route is very limited (see attached map with a red circle showing the area of the lake to which the cruise is confined). The boat doesn’t call in to any docks during the cruise, and doesn’t go into the most scenic parts of the lake.

If your time is very limited, you like the idea of cruising for an hour on a motor yacht, and don’t mind the extra cost, it’s probably a good choice.

If you wanted to see more of the lake than the limited cruise path of the Saphir allows, I would get one of the normal boats – which have the advantage of being free with the Swiss Travel Pass. These cruises are longer, but that also means of course that you need to have enough time to do them.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 5:06:30 #881491

Thanks . Appreciated your revert. We will spend one at in Lucerne without spending extra on private Yatch to enjoy more on lakes through Swiss travel pass. Little confused on Mt Rigi or Pilatus

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2018 at 8:07:39 #881492

Hi Ravibatra,

Lucas’s links to Mt. Rigi and Pilatus get you all the details. That hopefully helps you choose.

Annika
    7094 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:27:00 #881493

Hi Ravibatra,

As for where and when to purchase passes/tickets: you can wait with the Jungfraujoch tickets until you’re sure weather will be fine, but it’s easiest to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online in advance. You can do so through one of the retailers listed here. You’ll receive a print at home pass by e-mail, allowing you to print several copies which is convenient in case of loss or damage. I don’t expect credit card transaction charges to be that big of a problem. If you order through https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive, for example, you’ll see that pass prices are slightly lower and that they don’t charge transaction fees for paying with one of the major credit card brands.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 5:03:41 #881494

My question:

1. If i have to choose ONE- either Pilatus or Mt Rigi- what should be preferred.

2. Mt Rigi is free with travel pass- Pilatus is free or chargeable?

Regards

Ravi Batra

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 April 2018 at 6:13:45 #881495

Pilatus is 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass.

Which one should be preferred is not a question anyone can answer on your behalf. What appeals to one person may not appeal to the next.

I preferred Pilatus. The gondola/cable-car/cogwheel/boat round trip is great. But Rigi offers the same. It is more of a (very) large hill compared to the rugged Pilatus. But if you have already done Jungfraujoch you may prefer something different. There were plenty of spring flowers on Rigi late May last year.

Have another look at the links Lucas provided or let your budget decide. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 6:28:21 #881496

Thank you very much. Helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 9:22:00 #881497

Even I have same question which to choose Mt. Titlis or Jungfraujoch? We are visiting the same in mid MAY. All snow activities are covered in Mt. Titlis ticket?.

Experts please advise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 11:39:47 #881498

Hi Poo,

I quote Rockoyster: “Which one should be preferred is not a question anyone can answer on your behalf. What appeals to one person may not appeal to the next.”

The Ice Flyer chairlift to the glacier park is CHF 12,- and the snow activities are for free.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Mt. Titlis if also visiting Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.