Mt Titlis in December with 2 young kids?

• Cindy85
    Participant
    6 posts
    2 December 2022 at 19:58:37 #828698

Hi all,

I Am going for the Zurich panoramic glacier tour with family which includes my 2 kids aged 5 and 2. It’s on December 9th and all of a sudden I am extremely worried about the temperatures and whether the kids would be able to handle the extreme cold.

I myself can’t tolerate colder weather but I am so excited to see the the glacier cave and cliff walk.

I know the weather can vary largely and we won’t know for sure what the weather is like for more than 2 days prior, but can anyone please advise on:

1) how cold we can expect it to be?

2) Would young children be able to handle it?

3) what do our clothing have to be like? How many layers of socks jumpers etc?

Hope someone can advise please – thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2022 at 20:08:05 #948675

1) You will need layers of warm clothing

2) You are not always outside on mountain peaks – you can go inside restaurants and bars to warm up if necessary

3) You will see plenty of young children and toddlers at mountain tops in the Swiss Alps.

4) you can check the temperature at Titlis before you depart Luzern, just go to the Titlis web site:

http://www.titlis.ch/en/live/weather

Cindy85
    Participant
    6 posts
    2 December 2022 at 20:23:59 #948676

Thank you for your reply @1960man. I had no idea there were restaurants/bars so that’s good to hear!

Sure, layers sound good but is there a minimum number of layers we/they need to dress in?

And also, is there particular clothing that we need to be in? I have heard that we need to be wearing windproof and waterproof coats and trousers. They are so expensive and it seems pointless to buy for a 1 day trip? Or is it a must?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2022 at 1:10:24 #948677

You will need warm winter overcoats/jackets of some sort at the very least. Today it was around minus 10 at Titlis summit.

Alpine tourist peaks are not like Mount Everest! If a mountain peak has a public cable way or mountain railway to the top, the top will always have an indoor space of some sort. At Titlis and Jungfraujoch these nowadays almost resemble theme parks. At less ‘famous’ mountain tops there will just be normal restaurants / cafes / bars

Anna
    6376 posts
    3 December 2022 at 12:21:05 #948678

Hi Cindy85,

In December, the temperatures on the mountains can reach below freezing. So please layer up. You can find useful tips on what clothes to pack for a winter trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/clothing/winter

There are lots to see on Mt Titlis including indoor highlights, and you can also keep warm in the restaurants. You can find more information about things to do on Titlis here: http://www.myswissalps.com/titlis

Hope this gives you some ideas for your mountain excursion.

regards,

Anna

Cindy85
    Participant
    6 posts
    3 December 2022 at 14:25:25 #948679

Thank you both very much for your replies 😊

• The thread ‘Mt Titlis in December with 2 young kids?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.