Mt Titlis or Jungfraujoch - best from Luzern?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jmurr
jmurr
15 posts
Dec 28, 2017 - 7:06 PM

Hi

Am in Lucerne now and trying to decide whether to go to Mt Titlis tomorrow Friday 29th as it seems like there might be a tiny window of good weather mid morning or wait until Sunday in Interlarken and try Jungfau. If you had to choose 1 which one would it be? What are the differences in what is offered at the top ? I have 1/2 price cards and we're a family of 4 with 2 active teenagers. Thanks for your help.

Julia

stodgytj
stodgytj
29 posts
Dec 28, 2017 - 11:24 PM

My wife and I prefer Jungfraujoch but it means traveling from Luzern to Interlaken to Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch and returning, all in one day. Mt. Titlis is a lot closer. There's lots to do at Jungfraujoch such as the ice caves that aren't available on Mr. Titlis. Enjoy.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Dec 29, 2017 - 2:50 AM in reply to jmurr

Hello Julia,

Sounds like you are going to be in Interlaken anyway so here's the forecast for Sunday at Jungfraujoch www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Jungfraujoch is more expensive than Titlis but then it is THE TOP OF EUROPE!

Last modified on Dec 29, 2017 - 2:52 AM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Dec 29, 2017 - 8:30 AM in reply to jmurr

Hi Julia,

Tough call - both mountains have a lot to offer. For me, I think I would choose based on the time I have (and want to spend) traveling to the mountain and the cost of tickets.

For more information on each mountain try these links: Jungfraujoch & Mt. Titlis.
Either way, if the weather cooperates at whichever mountain you choose you will have a good time!

jmurr
jmurr
15 posts
Dec 31, 2017 - 5:43 PM

Thank you all so much and sorry for the late reply. We ended up doing them both as we struck perfect days on the days that suited in both towns. The 1/2 price fare did make the cost bearable. Jungfrau seemed so much more touristy it it was great to stop in Wengen on our way down Titlis was a lot of queuing as the skiers were numerous. Great excursions though

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5182 posts
expert
Dec 31, 2017 - 6:20 PM

Hi Julia-

<<"We ended up doing them both as we struck perfect days on the days that suited in both towns. ">>

Once again, that is a demonstration of the fallibility of weather forecasts in the Alps.

Glad it worked for you.

My pattern is to mostly ignore forecasts unless it is supper clear that a major weather system is in place for the a region or country. Even then, there are likely to be local variations, especially in the mountains.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018