Mt. Titlis, Rigi, and Pilatus on Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 9:14:05 #814833

Hi,

Good morning everyone on this forum.

I understand that STP holder gets 50 % discount on the cable car from Engelberg to Mt Titlis.

And FREE going to Mt Rigi from Arth-Goldau then down to Vitznau or vice versa.

How about going to Pilatus Kulm from Lucerne via Alpnachstad by boat then cogwheel train to Pilatus Kulm? Is this covered also with the STP?

Also coming down by Gondola and cable car to Kriens. Are these cable cars covered with STP for FREE or is it also 50% discount?

Can the Glacier Express be done in one day coming from Lucerne to Andermatt to Chur then back to Lucerne using the fastest most direct train? or is this too tight?

Thanks and Kind Regards.

ogiboy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 March 2018 at 9:22:06 #879084

I understand that STP holder gets 50 % discount on the cable car from Engelberg to Mt Titlis.

Correct.

And FREE going to Mt Rigi from Arth-Goldau then down to Vitznau or vice versa.

Correct.

How about going to Pilatus Kulm from Lucerne via Alpnachstad by boat then cogwheel train to Pilatus Kulm? Is this covered also with the STP?

The cog wheel from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm (not running until mid to late May depending on weather) and cableway Pilatus Kulm to Kriens are 50% off.

Have you studied the map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity?

Can the Glacier Express be done in one day coming from Lucerne to Andermatt to Chur then back to Lucerne using the fastest most direct train? or is this too tight?

Can be done. Check Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). You need a reservation for the Glacier Express between Andermatt and Chur otherwise you can follow same route on regular train without reservation. The scenery is the same.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 10:18:03 #879085

Thanks rockoyster. trying to figure out the map but is sometimes quite confusing so if in doubt, i would ask from the experts like you.

we will be there from april 7-13. so, is the cableway from kriens to pilatus kulm the only option going up and back down during this time?

how can i make reservation for the GE from Andermatt to Chur? Is it on the SBB website as well? Any idea how much for 3 adults, 1 child 13yo? is there any discount on the reservation for STP holder?

how about for the Golden Pass, I’ve read before that you don’t have to make a reservation on this route but if I don’t, how would I know if a certain seat is reserve for someone else or is free for us to take.

thanks again for your expertly advise.

kind regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 16:50:54 #879086

Hi ogiboy,

Yes, the cable cars from Kriens are the only options at that time to reach Pilatus.

You can make reservations on the Glacier Express here, the Swiss Travel Pass covers your ticket but you must pay the regular reservation fee for each seat.

Correct, reservations aren’t needed for the Golden Pass. If a seat on any train is reserved there will be a paper ticket (or electronic sign) above the seats on the wall indicating the seat is reserved between town A and town B (outside of those towns you can use the seat if you need/want to).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 17:22:30 #879087

Thanks Lucas and Rockoyster.

You and others had helped a lot of people navigate switzerland through this forum.

More power to you guys.

Kind Regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 6:28:19 #879088

I am traveling in June 2 adult and 2 kids (below 12yrs) for 11days going to Zurich , Lucerne , Interlaken , Zermatt, St Moritz. please advice which pass you recommend me to take? (STS or Family card)

I will be going to

Mt rigi, Mt titles, mt Pilatus, jungfraujoch,

Glacier express from Zermatt to St Moritz.

I am bit confused of the passes!!! hence please recommend

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 10:18:56 #879089

Hi umaiyaal, and welcome to MySwiss Alps,

Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You can get the Swiss Family Card free of charge when the parents travel with the Swiss Travel Pass or with another Swiss Travel System rail pass.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

• The thread ‘Mt. Titlis, Rigi, and Pilatus on Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.