Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Winter holiday in the Jungfrau region and Zermatt

Winter holiday in the Jungfrau region and Zermatt

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Tcoop474
Tcoop474
3 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 8:19 PM

Hi everyone. New member been researching and reading on this site for a while now. Along with several other sites.

Me and the wife will be traveling for around 15 days from Munich Germany to Salzburg for a few days before heading to Switzerland.

I have 3 days I would like to have in the Jungfrau region but not sure where to stay. I had planned on using interlaken as my base but I’m seeing people shy away from there and lean towards Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. Of the two where would I want to spend more time? What has more options of activities for dates around the 23-26 of Dec?

(we enjoy hikes, skiing, and sightseeing)

We have already booked our Zermatt hotel 26-29 plan for Zermatt is mostly snowboarding so I’m not to worried about skiing/boarding in any of the other destinations.

Thanks in advance

1960man
1960man
2464 posts
top member
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:00 AM in reply to Tcoop474

Please be assured that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Interlaken as a base.

On this site there is frequent comment on how much 'nicer' the upland villages are as places to stay. This would a logical argument if Interlaken was many miles away from the rest of the Jungfrau area, but it isn't as Switzerland is such a small area.

Also, there are benefits to being on the 'flat' in Interlaken. In particular in winter it can be nice to return from the hilly areas to a level place and have the trappings of a main town around you.

Tcoop474
Tcoop474
3 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:13 AM in reply to 1960man

Thanks! I agree after looking at train times that interlaken isn’t a bad base which is why I had originally chose it.

After going more in depth though I feel with only 3 days I’d be pressed to see everything I’d like to so I’d be fine with narrowing down to 1 town.

We had chose Lauterbrunnen for the waterfalls but I’ve heard the waterfalls may not be as spectacular with during the winter months due to the colder weather?

With Grindelwald I should be able to go to the top of Europe, Cliff walk, and that wooden bike sled (sorry I can’t remember what it’s called 🤦‍♂️) and much more stuff rather than going to multiple cities

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 15, 2020 - 7:46 PM in reply to Tcoop474

Hi Tcoop474,

Interlaken is an ideal base if you want to discover the Bernese Oberland (www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland). You can read the proc and cons of staying in Interlaken at www.myswissalps.com/interlaken. Here you'll find a list of recommended accommodations in Interlaken: www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/rentals. Or search for hotels in the whole Jungfrau region at www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/hotels.

It depends on the weather, but usually waterfalls are not that spectacular in the winter time. (read more about the weather in Switzerland at www.myswissalps.com/weather.) Trummelbach fall is actually closed from November to April (www.truemmelbachfaelle.ch/e/information_anreise.html). But you can still visit the Staubbach falls: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg/route.

In December you can visit Christmas Markets (www.myswissalps.com/activities/christmasmarkets) and there will be also the Ice Magic in Interlaken: www.icemagic.ch/en/wwwicemagicch.

See other activity opportunities in the region:

You might find this also useful about the snow fun in Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/activities/snow

Last modified on Jan 15, 2020 - 7:47 PM by Ildiko
Tcoop474
Tcoop474
3 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 8:11 PM

Wonderful information thank you!

I was informed on another forum that being in these location on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day that I may have issues with things being open (shops,food, activities ect) would you say that I will in fact have problems?

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 16, 2020 - 6:24 AM in reply to Tcoop474

Dec. 25-26 and Jan 1st and Jan 2 are the public holidays in Switzerland.

Although it won't be impossible to find a restaurant, probably many restaurants will be closed (and almost all of the food shops) .If you can, book a hotel with a restaurant and also book a room with breakfast.

If you want a specific restaurant, check their website regarding the opening hours. Probably reservations will be needed too.

Tourist activities like going up to the mountains won't be closed.

You will be able to find open grocery stores, like at the bigger train station there is always one open and also at the gas stations you can find smaller ones.

Ildiko

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020