Multi-day hike end of May Lauterbrunnen-Kandersteg

• Sher23
    Participant
    1 post
    3 February 2023 at 12:11:40 #829003

I would like to do a multi-day hike from Lauterbrunnen to Kandersteg (part of Via Alpina) with 3 friends in the weekend of 26 to 29 May. Is this possible or is there still a lot of snow then?

Many thanks!

Sher

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 February 2023 at 14:54:30 #950508

Hi Sher,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I think May might be too early for hikes on the Alpina trail. It’s possible, but yes there might be still be snow on the ground. Mountain huts might still be closed too in May if you’re planning overnight stays along the route. The hiking season in the Jungfrau region and the Bernese Oberland typically starts in June.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2023 at 15:14:43 #950509

I agree with Anna.

The path reaches almost 3000m in places

Late May is too early and in addition if there is still snow melt there would be a high risk of avalanche/landslide/mudslide

Schweizmobil aka wanderland CH shows if paths are officially closed (and therefore you would be ‘breaking the rules’ (if not the ‘law’) if you use them)

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    4 February 2023 at 2:38:59 #950510

Hi Sher,

In mid June 2018 I was at the Rotstock hut, and the trail up over the Sefinenfurgee was still closed (which brings you over to Griesalp). Difficult to say how it will be in May 2023. I was back last year, mid June 2022, and the trail was open.

This hike is absolutely beautiful with breathtaking views!! I hope you will be able to experience it!

Best of luck!

Monica

• The thread ‘Multi-day hike end of May Lauterbrunnen-Kandersteg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.