Muottas Muragl to Tirano in January

• AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 December 2022 at 0:30:50 #828736

Hi. We (4 adults) are travelling from Zurich to Muottas Muragl on 25 January, and then on from Muottas Muragl to Tirano on 26 January. I was about to book tickets for the Tirano leg, but have a couple of questions that the SBB site doesn’t really answer. First, it says the train will “stop on request” at Muottas Muragl station – does that mean if we’re waiting at the station the train will stop for us or do we need to arrange this somehow? Second, we seem to have the option of a direct train from Muottas Muragl Staz or going from Muottas Muragl to Pontresina and changing for Tirano. We’d probably prefer to walk to Muottas Muragl Staz and get the direct train, if I’m reading the options correctly, but can we do this? Finally, the most convenient train for us is the 10.54 (from Muottas Muragl Staz) or 10.51 (from Muottas Muragl) arriving in Tirano at 1.00. But can we travel on this train without Panorama car reservations – are there ordinary carriages as well? Swiss train tickets are rather expensive for us, so I don’t want to book tickets and not be able to use them! Thanks in advance for any advice, and apologies for all the questions. Anne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    12 December 2022 at 7:27:45 #948863

Hi Anne,

1. To reach Muottas Muragl, you will need to ride a funicular from Punt Muragl base station, which is about 10 mins walk from the closest train station (Punt Muragl Staz). The train stops at Punt Muragl Staz station on request. You will need to press a button so that the train stops at the station. You can find this button next to the exit door: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel.

2. To get to Tirano from Muottas Muragl, you will need to take the funicular down to Punt Muragl base station, walk to Punt Muragl Staz station and take a connecting train to Tirano. There are hourly train services to Tirano. You can check the train schedules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. These are regular train services and require no seat reservations. You can purchase point-to-point tickets or use a railpass.

Let us know if you need further info.

Regards,

Anna

AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 December 2022 at 7:46:52 #948864

Thank you, Anna. This is really helpful.

So it looks like we’ll be able to get the train to stop at Punt Muragl Staz when we arrive. Does this mean that the train will also stop at Punt Muragl Staz if we are waiting at the station, when we leave the next day? Or do we need to let someone know that we want to get on there?

Thanks again for your help.

Anne

Anna
    6274 posts
    12 December 2022 at 8:40:55 #948865

Hi Anne,

There should be a request-stop button at the Punt Muragl Staz train station. When you press this button, the light will turn on and all you have to do next is just wait for the train to arrive.

Regards,

Anna

AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 December 2022 at 12:25:50 #948866

Thanks very much, Anna. This is just what I needed to know.

We look forward to our coming trip to Switzerland – we have travelled this route in summer, but look forward to seeing the mountains in winter.

Anne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2022 at 23:47:48 #948867

All ‘request stops’ on railways in Switzerland have buttons to press on the station information boards (if you are boarding). There are green button inside all railway carriages that when pressed will make the train stop at the next request stop (there will be an announcement if the next stop is a request stop.

Punt Muragl has stations on two parallel railway lines. This is because there is a triangle of railway lines (look on a map at Samedan, Pontresina and St Moritz). The Bernina railway runs from St Moritz to Pontresina. Then there is a link line from the Albula railway at Samedan to Pontresina. If you want to avoid changing trains at Pontresina, you can get any train from Punt Muragl Staz. All trains on the Bernina railway are free to board.

AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 December 2022 at 0:03:30 #948868

Great. Thanks very much – that answers all my questions. I was confused about the 2 different Punt Muragl stations, but now it’s clear. I think we’re probably better off getting the direct train if it just means a slightly longer walk.

I also thought we’d need to pre-book the tickets, which was why I was concerned, but it looks as though point-to-point tickets aren’t much more expensive even if you buy them on the day. In which case we might do that, to give us more flexibility.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2022 at 0:07:47 #948869

Yes, you can turn up at any Swiss station and use the efficient standard Swiss railway ticket machine right up to the time a train departs. I have just returned home to UK from Switzerland, so just a few hours ago I was using such a machine to buy my last ticket to Geneva airport

Here is the Bernina line timetable PDF: http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2023/950.pdf

AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 December 2022 at 0:11:38 #948870

Great. Thanks again! Anne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2022 at 10:07:34 #948871

Hi AnnieP,

if you travel more in a day, you can get the Saver Day Pass. Please check the list and map of validity here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/validity.

Note that they can run out and if you buy them earlier usually they are cheaper, check the prices here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

Ildiko

AnnieP
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 December 2022 at 12:52:14 #948872

Thanks for this suggestion. I’ll check out the Saver Day Pass. Anne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2022 at 15:11:48 #948873

I used saver day passes on 2 different days this past long weekend i had in ch. I purchased them about 3.5 weeks ago for chf49

Nb my price was slightly lower as I have an annual SHFC

• The thread ‘Muottas Muragl to Tirano in January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.