Jungfrau region, stay in Murren or Wengen ?

Jungfrau region, stay in Murren or Wengen ?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
srdebnath
srdebnath
46 posts
Mar 4, 2018 - 10:02 PM

We will be visiting Switzerland during the second week of April. We have planned to spend a little less than 2 days in the Jungfrau region. We will arrive at Interlaken at about 11 am on day 1 and leave Interlaken early in the morning on day 3. We wish to visit Schilthorn and Zungfraujoch. Also, one primary objective is to spend some time in a quintessential Swiss village. We wish to spend the first night at a village. The second night has to be at Interlaken as we will catch a train very early next morning.

Would appreciate if you could help me with the answers to my following questions.

1) Which of the two villages of Murren and Wengen reflects the true characteristics of a Swiss village ?

2) How long does it usually take to explore Gimmelwald, Murren and Wengen by foot (each individually) ?

3) Is it possible to see both Schilthorn and Zungfraujoch on the same day ?

4) Is it recommended to see or do something in Interlaken during the time we have ?

5) Based on our wish, can you suggest an itinerary indicating the sequence ?

Thanks !

rockoyster
rockoyster
3402 posts
expert
Mar 5, 2018 - 2:22 AM in reply to srdebnath

1. They will be pretty quiet at that time of year and you will pass through both going up the mountains. Wengen would have more life I'd say. You may even be better off staying in Wengen or Interlaken 2 nights rather than wasting time swapping hotels. If you stayed in Wengen the first train gets you to Interlaken Ost just before 6 am.

2. Not very long. Maybe read this thread for a comparison of the villages www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/homebase-for-alps. It's the wrong season but it should give you a picture.

3. At a push I guess you could.

4. I doubt you'll have time.

5. If you went to Mürren on day 1 you could maybe then do Schilthorn that afternoon subject to weather. Then stay Mürren or Interlaken or move to Wengen so you are ready for Jungfraujoch the next day. Have you given any thought to the logistics of your luggage while head up and down the mountains? Staying in Interlaken would solve that problem.

Last modified on Mar 5, 2018 - 10:02 AM by Chantal
becmcentire
becmcentire
21 posts
Mar 5, 2018 - 2:34 AM

We traveled to Lauterbrunnen Valley area last June. We loved Wengen. The views are much better than Murren & more to do. In 2 days we did Jungfrau Top of Europe and spent most of the day up top zip lining, sledding, & skiing (easy stuff) on the Glacier. Lunch at restaurant there & got back to Wengen w time to enjoy late afternoon resting & enjoying the magnificent view the deck at our hotel. Day 2 we did Gimmerwald, Murren & Schiltorn. Even had time to hike fr Murren to Gimmerwald then gondola down to Srechielberg. We also hiked up to Waterfall there. Wengen was a great base. Restaurants, grocery store, excellent train station to all the villages as well as gondolas. It's the transportation hub in the area. I wouldn’t stay in Interlaken. It takes a while to ride train up & you have to change in Lauterbrunnen. You will waste too much time traveling back & forth. You will see the lake & surrounding area traveling in to Interlake. So glad I had advice from an acquaintance who lives in Interlake. She told us to definitely not stay in town but head straight up to the Valley. We fell in love with Wengen & are going back this June for a week. Had options to take a trip anywhere in Europe & we opted to go back to Wengen & stay in the very same hotels. Blessed travels to you. You will have a spectacular trip.

Last modified on Mar 5, 2018 - 10:04 AM by Chantal
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4489 posts
expert
Mar 5, 2018 - 3:05 AM in reply to srdebnath

<<"1) Which of the two villages of Murren and Wengen reflects the true characteristics of a Swiss village ?">>

Neither. They are full of hotels and tourists. If you want a true Swiss village, you'll go some place that you really don't want to visit until your 5th or 6th trip to Switzerland, such as villages in the Emmental -

Sumiswald, Langnau, Heimiswil, or, Trubschachen, for example.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may

Or, someplace in the Rhone Valley, such as Ausserberg, well along near the end in this thread:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

For the Jungfrau region, this may help:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

My own preference matches Kim's. I like Wengen

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 5, 2018 - 3:18 AM by Slowpoke
Please login to see the attached documents

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018