Combined visit to Murren, Lucerne and Paris

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    13 August 2015 at 23:37:48 #807751

Hi I hope you are all well. My wife is now insisting that she wants to include Paris in the itinerary. Is it possible that I spend 5 to 6 days in Murren, 2 days in Lucerne and move to Paris for 2 days? Or should I skip Lucerne? What is the best way to go to Paris from Murren? Train or flight?

Is it better to do Paris first or Switzerland first?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 August 2015 at 6:41:58 #845332

Hi msra7hm2,

Well, that’s a very personal decision. Paris is totally different from Switzerland, and it’s up to you whether you want to give up days in Switzerland for a city visit. It would not be my personal preference, but I’m afraid you can’t have someone else decide for your holidays :-).

If you plan to visit Paris, it depends on your plans whether it’s wiser to do so either before or after your visit to Switzerland (in most cases both option would be fine though). I’m not sure which itinerary you’re referring to, as there have been several variants of it. Is it the most recent plan you’ve mentioned in this topic? And are there any other plans for visits to neighboring countries before you fly black home?

A trip between Paris and Switzerland can easily be done by train. Direct connections are available between Paris and Basel and Zurich. Please find details at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    14 August 2015 at 14:34:43 #845333

My final itinerary is to have 5 nights in Murren doing all the hiking and mountain trips. 3 days in Lucerne.

2 days in Paris.

And no I am not visiting any other country – just France and Switzerland.

1. What are some of the no frills economy flights between France and Switzerland?

2. Which option is cheaper Train or Flight considering that I would be buying the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2015 at 17:17:21 #845334

Hello msra7hm2,

The train is the better option: not expensive if booked well in advance, comfortable, eco-friendly and quicker (4.5 to 5 hours). You would first take a train from Lucerne to Basel. From there you can take a high speed TGV Lyria train to Paris. You need to book the TGV ticket in advance. Please see the page Annika gave you, and click “Price” to find retailers and prices (in your case it makes sense to have a look at http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/train/tgv-lyria). If you also need a rail pass you can buy the ticket at the same time.

If you prefer a flight you can find information about that here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2015 at 19:25:47 #845335

<<“quicker (4.5 to 5 hours)”>>

The trains leave you at the center of town. It’s amazing how much time is added by the “no-flying” part of a plane trip.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Combined visit to Murren, Lucerne and Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.